Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Kindle Paperwhite or Kindle Fire HD?

edited March 2014 in Writing
The Amazon prices for these are only £30 apart and although I was only looking for an e-reader, I am now wondering whether to get the tablet.

Opinions welcome please?

Comments

• You can do a lot with a Kindle Fire, including read books. Don't know what the difference is between that and a Paperwhite.
  • Is a Paperwhite the basic one? If so that's what I have.
  • The Paperwhite has backlighting which helps in an e-reader...

The KindleFire can do much more- I can use wifi to access websites, or read my kindle ebooks.
  • Ah, mine isn't one of those.
  • There's the basic Kindle (which I also have, and use for reading ebooks) and the Kindle Fire has colour, but the battery doesn't last as long as the basic e-reader.
  • I#ve looked at a Kindle and a Kindle Paperwhite in a shop here. The paperwhite seems to have just a light as its only extra, whereas the Fire had internet access. Perhaps one can buy a longer life battery?
  • I think, but don't know for sure, that the battery is sealed inside and you can't change them, just charge.
  • No, you can't change the battery, but they are easy to charge.

I have the adaptor plug and it fits both my Kindle and my Kindle fire.
  • The battery lasts a long time on my Kindle Fire HD...as for the difference, the Fire is pretty much a laptop! You can use it for everything :)
  • Is there a camera connection kit for the Kindle Fire? I'm thinking of replacing my iPad, but not with another iPad - once bitten, twice shy. I was an Apple fanboy until I bought an iPad :(.
  • edited March 2014
    The Fire looks as if it does a lot for the price, and if it really does then it's worth spending the extra bit. It's my suspicious nature that says if it looks too good to be true then . . . .
  • You need apps to access things- some you'll be able to get free, others you need to buy, but you do get a certain amount credited to you, Lizy.

Don't think so, OG.
  • Whilst I love my Fire, wish I'd spent the extra and got the HD as that has Bluetooth. Oh well next time. The only issue is in bright daylight it's hard to read.
  • Well, I started with the paperwhite (Kevin Kindle) and I loved it. If you want to read and buy books (or use the Amazon library-type service), check out the BBC news headlines, even check your email, (though I can't remember if I could check yahoo as well as Google) you can do it on the PW. It's all in black and white, that's all. But it is smaller and therefore lighter in the hand than the Fire HD.
    The Fire HD (Philbert Fire) can do a lot more, and in colour. As you spotted the other day, I loaded Facebook onto it. You can watch films, download music, link it to bluetooth, and skype. We skyped Australia for 2 hours yesterday morning, which used about 40% of the battery charge. The quality is far better than my 4 year old laptop, and doesn't have any of the intrusive steam-train noises that we got there. I get the BBC headlines and can watch the video clips. I've loaded Yahoo too.
    There is a camera app, OLG, though I haven't got it. Can't work out how it could possibly function, actually. If I'm pointing the camera away from me, how will I be able to press any button onscreen? Or maybe it's one of the ones on the side?
    The Fire HD is actually a tablet in miniature - there's even an Office-type suite on there, which you can upgrade for 11€ to do more than the basics.
    You are recommended to buy the faster charger for the Fire, which you wouldn't need for the PW - especially if you have the Android phone type with the flat plug. It works on the Fire, but takes a lot longer.
    So for your £30 difference in price you do get a lot more - it just depends whether you want it all.
  • Thanks Mrs Bear. My question refers to attaching a proper digital camera to the device rather than using the built-in camera. At present, I take my iPad on holiday and copy all my photographs on to it at the end of every day. I then note down in a word processor document what the photographs are, so I'm not confronted by a mass of unidentifiable pictures when I get home!

I know the Samsung tablet has a camera connection kit and I wondered if the Kindle HD also had one. It looks as if my next tablet will be a Samsung.
  • I have the 7 inch screen Kindle Fire, and it only has two connecting points, the one where the charger cable goes in, and a round port at the other end that fits an earphone connection.

• The Fire is physically bigger, I think. Will you be comfortable holding that for long periods?
  • It's not actually that heavy, although I tend to perch it on the arm of the sofa when I'm reading, but I need it to be a distance away so I can actually read it.

If you have Amazon Prime, you can stream an awful lot of stuff to watch for free, loads really quickly and doesn't seem to need to buffer whilst it's running.

I love it.
  • I have the 7 inch screen Kindle Fire, and it only has two connecting points, the one where the charger cable goes in, and a round port at the other end that fits an earphone connection.

Mine has two plug-in points: one's the charger one, which is long (about 9mm) and flat (2mm); the other takes a similar flat plug but it's narrower (about 7mm) and taller (2.5mm). Don't know what that one's for - will do some researching.

I don't find it too heavy at all. The cover I bought (not an actual Kindle make) has a stand affair for watching things or skyping. (The cover is a good investment - I bought Kevin's on a stall in Milton Keynes for £20).

Lizy, by the way, you don't have to hold either bookwise - you can turn them on their side and the screen contents shift to accommodate; so if you have a larger font, like me so as not to have to wear my specs, you can have the page set up differently.

• OLG, I know you love mac for everything else - what do you have trouble with on the iPad? I have to admit I only used mine when I'm on holiday or out for the day now as I now use the macbook air in the other room.

The iPad with 3G is fabulous as it work virtually anywhere and means if the internet goes down i can still see stuff.
  • Internet access - every so often it crashes. I've tried several browsers and it happens with all of them. It's a common fault that Apple refused to take responsibility for as the iPad 1 was no longer supported by the time this started to happen (mine was only just over a year old). I have read that it happens on newer models too, and that Apple have found out what causes it and have introduced a fix in ios 7 - which does not work on iPad 1s. iPad 1 owners are left with a problem that Apple can fix but choose not to.

Pages - as I said in my earlier post, I create a document of photographs on every holiday. When I get home I download it to the iMac. I recently returned a document that had been edited on the Mac and the iPad couldn't load it. It said the document had been saved in the latest version of Mac Pages and would only load in the latest version of iPad Pages - which does not work on iPad 1.

I am unhappy about the way Apple have treated people who bought the first generation iPad. I shouldn't be anywhere near ready to change yet, but it is virtually useless for my needs because of things beyond my control (but within Apple's control). I don't intend to reward them for their shabby behaviour by buying another iPad.

My next computer, however, will almost certainly be a Mac. Whatever I think of Apple's treatment of their customers, there really is no alternative.
  • Forgot to mention - these days, my iPad is also only for holiday use. I recently bought a MacBook Pro complete with SSD instead of hard disc. It's hardly any heavier than an iPad and has the advantage of the internet not crashing.
  • I don't know where to find the Menu!
  • Carol, I think the one mentioned in the article is out of date. Your home screen (the one with your books on it) is the place to go. You can tap on Web which will take you into the browser; or if you have the Silk icon, tap on that.
    To access settings, you need to put your finger on the black bar at the top of the page and drag down to reveal a different set of headings including More - tap on that and you'll get to Settings, which is where you'll find the on/off switch for Wifi, Bluetooth, Airplane mode, and so forth.
    Is that what you wanted?
  • Yes. I knew I'd seen the screen when I was setting it up, but couldn't seem to get back in after that...I have the Silk icon.
  • There's so much I don't know about these devices, and never having had one I don't know what questions to ask!
    I want to be able to put my own work on it because I'm considering publishing an ebook. Can I do that with a Kindle Fire - or a Sony Make-believe, which I looked at today?
    If they've only got 2 ports then it doesn't sound as if a pen-drive transfer would be possible,
  • You can do it through the cloud, Lizy - install Dropbox on your laptop and Kindle (via an app) and whatever you store there you can access on either.
    Or you can send your work to your Kindle email account.
    I intend to do the same when I've finished writing the darn thing, to see how it reads. No, you can't use a pen drive on Kindle. I've read that today on some forum or other.

• I've never used the cloud Mrs B so that's another thing to learn.
    Meanwhile I was thinking as I lay awake last night - I have 2 email accounts so if I email a doc to myself from my laptop I could open it with the tablet, I suppose.
  • Email to yourself? That is so 20th century!

As the Kindle tablet uses Android I expect that Google Drive will work on it. I use Google Drive all the time - it just shows up (on a computer) as another directory. I've not yet used it on a table (although I have used iCloud) but I expect it will be similar.
  • I use Dropbox (pretty much the same as Google Drive, I think) on my Samsung tablet. I also use Bluetooth to transfer files between my mobile, tablet and laptop. Occasionally I'll just save something as an attachment to a draft email. I never bother to actually send the email - having it as a draft is enough as it saves the files online.

There's no 'right' way of doing it - it all seems to work well enough.
  • Incidentally, if you wanted to read your own work on a Kindle or via a Kindle app, wouldn't you need to convert it to a mobi file and email that to your Kindle account? That's how I got my collection onto my tablet.

Or is there a simpler way of doing it?
  • Occasionally I'll just save something as an attachment to a draft email. I never bother to actually send the email - having it as a draft is enough as it saves the files.
    I do the same - it's a good way (for me) to save notes and reminders.

• Incidentally, if you wanted to read your own work on a Kindle or via a Kindle app, wouldn't you need to convert it to a mobi file and email that to your Kindle account? That's how I got my collection onto my tablet.

I understand that Kindles will display Word documents or PDFs, but I've never actually tried it myself.
  • I've read PDFs on mine, never tried Word.
  • I have a free office app that I can open and edit word docs on. I keep my current stuff on dropbox so that I can edit it if I am out and have a flash of inspiration.

• Whilst I love my Fire, wish I'd spent the extra and got the HD as that has Bluetooth. Oh well next time. The only issue is in bright daylight it's hard to read.
    We get bright daylight here - it's Tenerife - though I sit in the shade to read. Is shade enough?
    The battery lasts a long time on my Kindle Fire HD...as for the difference, the Fire is pretty much a laptop! You can use it for everything :)
    That sounds as if you like it!

I've Googled the Sony and other readers and it appears that whatever e-reader you buy restricts what books you can buy. I haven't seen a universally acceptable device yet.

• That's the problem. You have to choose between a Kindle or one of the ereaders that take e-Pub- the latter is good, but if you want self-published books then you'll find ePub can be a limited choice, as not every SP author goes beyond a kindle version.

I was looking through my Idiot's guide to Scrivener and it says that to create a mobi file you have to install the KindleGen tool from kindlepublishing on your computer. I see that this tool supports mobi, ePub, html, and OPF.
    Scrivener has options to convert for ePub (Nook, iPad, Sony and others) and mobi (Kindle) formats. You can then read through your novel or whatever on your e-reader. It doesn't say how you get it from laptop to e-reader, but maybe that's obvious.

If you haven't got an e-reader, it recommends software like Adobe Digital Editions so that you can see how your book is formatted as an e-book, and can make any relevant changes before you send it out.

Bear in mind that until I bought the Kindle Frie HD I was computerly challenged - see what it's done for/to me!
  • You can convert Word documents to mobi format using free software called Calibre. I don't know how the results compare with paid-for software.
  • I have bought a Samsung tablet because the girl in the shop said I could download Amazon books onto it. According to Google I can so that will be fine - once I've learned how to use the damn thing.
    The online users' guide is ...yeah... long and I'm struggling already.

*feels old and stupid and definitely technically-challenged*
  • Not old, not stupid - technically challenged, I'll allow! You'll get the hang of it - and someone here will have the same machine and will guide you through, Lizy.
    Put it this way: could you just get on a motorbike and ride it without instruction? No - neither could I. (Last time I was on a motorbike - an 850cc Norton Commando as it happens - I shared it with a bearded man and a guitar in a hard case. and I looked like a pillock in the helmet.)
  • I'm still learning how to use my kindle fire and I got it in December.

It is just a matter of trying different things- start with simple things, and go from there.
  • Well - I've Googled an instruction book, and No 1 daughter is coming round tomorrow to help. With all your support as well I shall get there, hopefully before Christmas!