Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Poetry and punctuation

edited April 2014 in Writing
Something Liz asked on fb got me thinking about this. Writer's News poetry competitions always emphasise that poems must be properly punctuated. By that I assume they mean punctuate as you would prose. Elsewhere, I see published poems with minimal punctuation. What's generally expected?

Comments

• You punctuate your poems to indicate how they should be read i.e. pause where you want a pause etc
  • There are plenty of excellent poems with little or no punctuation; eg EE Cummings' next to of course god America I and Lawrence Ferlinghetti's Two scavengers in a truck, two beautiful people in a Mercedes.
  • Not to mention the idiosyncratic punctuation of Emily Dickinson, whose poems often continue in your mind after they have ended on the page (try the 5-stanza version of "I felt a funeral in my brain")....
  • Hmmm. I particularly don't want to punctuate this poem. Aware it is frowned on though, thought I'd canvass opinion and see what peeps thought. Will post if you are interested.
  • If you feel the poem reads better and looks better without it then don't use it. Sometimes in a long poem with short lines too many commas can be visually distracting to the reader and the reader many not concentrate on the message of the poem. You have to let the poem decide.
  • I've never really understood punctuation in poetry - commas or full stops at the end of a line seem superfluous - of course the reader will naturally pause before they start reading the next line. And - why, oh why, do poets overlap their lines - so that the first word of the next line actually belongs to the previous line? :-?
  • Enjambement, Claudia - for
    added impact.
  • I like to see clever use of enjembement
  • Oh, is that how you spell it? I guessed my spelling.
  • Enjambement, Claudia - for
    added impact.
    I like to see clever use of enjembement
    Oh, is that how you spell it?
    Enjambement/enjembement - about as clear as mud to this Philistine - let's call the whole thing off. (:|
  • Nell has the correct spelling
  • I don't wish to prolong the
    agony,
    but there are it
    seems
    two acceptable
    spellings: enjambment and enjambement.
  • Yes, it's to do with the French for 'leg' and jumping off the end of one line and onto the next.

I think Claudia wishes she'd never mentioned it now! Look away, Claudia. Look away...
  • It's to do with having different length lines so the brain doesn't get stuck in a rhythmic rut when reading and also the first and last words in a line are the most important, so you can break the lines at strong words instead of having lots of little start/end words reducing the impact.

It has to be done
    carefully though or it can appear
    unnatural and look
    like you've just done it for
    effect.
  • So have you resolved your punctuation problem, Liz?
  • Yes, it's to do with the French for 'leg' and jumping off the end of one line and onto the next.

I think Claudia wishes she'd never mentioned it now! Look away, Claudia. Look away...
    :)

• Sort of! An editor posted on FB and said she prefers without punctuation is such a piece so that readers can bring their own to it, their own meaning etc.

I really just wanted to know if it was enjoyable without punctuation and readable and could be understood, and from reaction i presume it can be.