Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

jury duty

edited April 2014 in Writing
I have been on jury duty all week and i must say have loved every minute of it. I have never thought of writing a crime or detective book but i now feel the fibes. Dose anyone have any advice.

Comments

• It's something I've always wanted to do, but I've never been called. However, as a television extra, I've taken part in several jury scenes and always took advantage of all that time sitting in the jury box to scribble down my thoughts.
  • I think it would be fascinating. Hubby's work colleague has just done it - but, of course, was unable to say anything. He did mention, however, that what WAS criminal was the way people can't spell in texts!

It's definitely inspiration for crime writing. Do you read many crime novels, elizabeth? That might be a good idea to start with to see how they are paced and structured.

But you could definitely jot down your plot ideas - and any nitty gritty details before you forget .
  • There are so many types of crime novels, that you need to read a variety and see what appeals.

Good luck with it. :)
  • yes, it is an illuminating experience. The prosecution gets first go, obviously, and by the time they have finished one wonders why we are wasting time and money because this guy is obviously guilty.
    Then the defence...then one is not so sure...

In the jury room, all sorts of interesting, hard wired attitudes and prejudices emerge.

Interesting.
  • I hated jury service - a murder trial with a lot of very unpleasant CCTV to watch over and over again.
    I did get a story out of it though!
  • I hated jury service - a murder trial with a lot of very unpleasant CCTV to watch over and over again.
    I did get a story out of it though!
    Yea, that can be a problem, Heather. They go into every detail over and over. [eg the trial of that athlete in South Africa]

It used to be very very difficult to be excused jury duty. The only reasons acceptable were death in family, severe illness, some kind of catastrophe, and a person would need letters signed by trustworthy people to prove the reason for not doing jury duty.
    It is easy to see why jury duty could be a hardship for some, eg self employed people, or those with jobs which involved contracts and contacts. The re reimbursement from the court cant make up for lost contracts etc.
    It is easier now and that is posing a problem because too many people are getting out of their duty to do jury service and this reduces the pool of available jurors. This means the profile of the people on jury service has changed and, it is thought, this changes decisions.

• edited April 2014
    Indeed an interesting experience - I did jury service on a murder trial and admit to squinting a bit when we were all handed a big wad of photographs of the knocked about body to wade through. I remember itching with questions but of course jury members have to sit there while the clever ones ask the questions. At the end of it all I didn't think justice had been done.
  • I did mine at The Old Bailey. Hated it. A complete waste of time. When I was working I did a stint working at the Crown Court. Much more interesting behind the scenes.
  • Can i get some titles and authors please :D
  • Of what, elizabeth?
  • Crime/ detective books please.
  • Not a genre I read much, I'm afraid, but I know there's a lot of it!

Ian Rankin and Lynda la Plante spring to mind, or maybe Colin Dexter (Inspector Morse)? Others will probably help more.
  • Mark Billingham, Lee Childs and Leigh Russell
  • I think it is possible for anyone to sit in the public gallery of a court.
  • That would be interesting, Stan.
  • Yes, just go along and sit in the public gallery. Justice not only has to be done but it also has to be seen to be done. That's why courts are open to the public. Not enough people take advantage of this. Yes, an interesting, if not quite riveting experiance.
  • I went once into the public gallery at the High Court in London. The outside is often seen on TV. The case was about a motorbike incident. I also sat in the public gallery at Woolwich when my sister and brother-in-law were in a dispute with a neighbour. The case went in their favour. My mother wss a witness - she was very nervous.
  • I have been called for jury service twice and couldn't do it. The first time I had two young children and my husband was at sea with the Royal Navy so I had no one to look after them. This was in the days when there weren't so many nurseries in operation. I didn't say I wouldn't do it, I started my letter... I would love to do it but unfortunately I have no near relatives to look after the children.
    The second one was when I had an urgent appointment with a consultant. I went to the court to explain and was told I was exempt.
  • edited May 2014
    I have been called at least twice but I am exempt because I am a Minister of Religion.
  • I have just finished my jury duty that went on for two weeks and feel at a lose i loved being on the jury i now hate the thought of going back to my day job that i have HELP what am i going to do. :O
  • Reapply for JD if that is possible.

• I've only been on JD once - a criminal case and the interesting thing for me apart from actually seeing how a real courtroom case was put together was the dynamics in the jury room - out of 12 people only 6/7 actually had anything to say and contribute the others just kind of sat about and seemed disengaged so although it says ' trial by 12 good men...etc in reality it was trial by 6/7 opinionated people who the rest just 'went aling with' - that apsect of it was fascinating and was echoed in the John Grisham novel Runaway Jury where one man manipulated the whole trial - I can see how that could happen.