Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Formatting for Kindle

edited April 2014 in Writing
On reading Sally Jenkins' book I have changed my formatting so that paragraphs indent automatically rather than using the tab.

I have Word 2007 and I get 'paragraph' by right clicking. This also gives me the option to add spaces between paragraphs. I am already double-spacing - do I need more?

To add or not to add - that is the question.

Comments

• I seem to remember that it was 1.5 spacing, Lizy...
  • Lizy, if you're formatting for Kindle (rather than a manuscript to send to an editor) then double spacing isn't necessary - unless, for some reason, you want the finished book to be double spaced (which isn't usually the case).
  • Ooh - is that you, Sally the writer herself?
    *curtseys*
    It's impossible to tell from the few Kindle books I've bought so far what the line spacing is. Yours has a larger space between paragraphs but no indents presumably because, as you say, it's not fiction.
    But if I opt for TN's 1.5 spacing I could change it if necessary later.
  • Non-fiction can have indents.
  • The Kindle user can choose the line spacing on their device as well as the size of the print. That's why Kindle ask for single spacing and 12 pt text. I downloaded the free book 'Building your books for Kindle'. It gave clear, simple instructions that were eay to follow.
    Hope this helps.
  • Ah - thank you, casey. I might continue to work in double spacing to make editing easier, but knowing it's got to go down to single eventually is helpful.
  • Ooh - is that you, Sally the writer herself?
    *curtseys*
    No need to curtsey, Lizy! Hope you get the book formatted without too many problems.
  • Thanks Sally. I have realised that I should read the whole book now rather than bit by bit, in case I come across any tips that I should have read before I got too far through me rewrite.
  • You don't need to have more than single line spacing. Also be careful on indents as some conversion programmes for ebook apply then automatically. You can end up with increased indents or with headings going askew.
  • thanks for the advice, Mutley.
    My double spacing is only for now, as when I've done this draft I shall print it off for editing.
  • edited May 2014
    Instead of printing it off (all that paper!) why not edit it on your Kindle? I edit on Kindle. Each Kindle page is about a quarter of an A4 page, so you can read it through very thoroughly. I then highlight the errors or possible changes so I can flick through the ms and make the changes on screen on my laptop. Simpleeeess