Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Is there any need...

edited April 2014 in Writing
to include at the beginning of a children's paperback book a page of chapter numbers and page references?

Comments

• The only children's book I have to hand is Terry Pratchett's "Johnny and the Bomb" and there are none of the above in that. It jumps straight into chapter one, if that helps?
  • As I thought, Lizy. Thanks for that!
  • No probs. Happy to help.
  • I can't get at my daughter's books as she's asleep!
  • How did you manage the Tooth Fairy and Father Christmas, then?
  • I think it's nice to do if you have chapter titles. When I was a kid I liked reading through them. Maybe just me.
  • to include at the beginning of a children's paperback book a page of chapter numbers and page references?
    I'm sure that's only needed for an ebook version.

• LizLiz
    edited April 2014
    j
  • ana said: I think it's nice to do if you have chapter titles

Quite - but these don't have titles. I've now scrapped that page.
  • I used to enjoy reading the chapter number and titles and see how they related or gave clues about the story. It made me feel like I read reading an important, "grown up" book. One book in particular (Ivy by Julie Hearn) comes in mind.She used to tease the reader at the start of each chapter by hinting at what would happen next in a way that made you want to read more.

• I think it depends how old the children are. My seven year old grandson likes them as it helps point out the story, but my twelve year old granddaughter isn't bothered.
  • Mine don't have titles, casey, so they don't really lend anything to the story. Their only use would be to help locate a chapter by giving a page reference- but a bookmark/folded down page (heaven forbid!) would do that.
  • You do not generally have a contents page in fiction unless it is a collection of different stories.
  • Still, there are many novels out there with a contents page. Italo Calvino's "If on a winter's night a traveller" is clever in this regard as the chapter titles form a sentence. I really liked that little touch.