Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Calling for a punctuation expert!

edited April 2014 in Writing
Do I need to insert anything (a dash?) where I've put the asterix?

'We should be there in about…’ * he glanced at his watch, ‘ten minutes, I’d say.'

Comments

• I'd probably lose the dots and yes put a dash where the asterisk is and replace the comma with another dash at the end of the clause.
  • 'We should be there in about,' - he glanced at his watch - 'ten minutes, I'd say.'

Like that, or without the first comma?
  • Without the first comma :)
  • Tristram got there before me!

I wanted to do the exact same thing in a story I was working on yesterday. I found this article on speech tags, etc, which I thought was quite useful:

http://www.crayne.com/articles/Dialogue--How-to-Punctuate,-Use-Tags,-and-Vary-the-Structure-of-Your-Dialogue.pdf
  • edited April 2014
    That's incredibly useful, Dan. Thanks!

On a slightly different subject, I always wondered where authors got those 'long' dashes from. I've always used the short ones, but have never been happy with them. Now I know, I'll have to 'replace all' the tiddly ones for the special elongated versions, without messing up words like...

*thinks*

'newly-informed'.
  • It shouldn't be a problem – newly-informed requires a hyphen, not a dash.
  • I know, but I'd used - for hyphens and dashes. For that reason, I couldn't do a 'replace all. I've just done a 'find - ' all through the document so that I could decide whether it was supposed to be a dash or a hyphen in each case.

I feel enlightened!
  • Shouldn't it be 'newly informed', with no hyphen? I always thought you weren't supposed to use a hyphen with a ~ly adverb.

My version of Word automatically replaces [space][hyphen][space] with a long dash. In Scrivener, I need to type a double hyphen (i.e. --) to get a long dash.
  • No, I suppose it shouldn't have either a dash or hyphen, but in the context of showing how a hyphen links two words, I think we understand...

How do you get an em dash?
  • danfango said: Shouldn't it be 'newly informed', with no hyphen? I always thought you weren't supposed to use a hyphen with a ~ly adverb.

Really? That's something else I didn't know and have done wrong for years! Dang, dammit and drat. I'll have to go through and remove all my -ly hyphens now!

Do you know how much work you've given me today?!! ~X(
  • edited April 2014

The more time I spend on this forum, the more convinced I become that I should sign up to adult literacy classes. #-o
  • I'd actually consider hyphenating it, TN - depending on the message and context.

Friendly-looking against friendly looking - hyphen needed for the correct context.

*waits for TN to put 'em all back*
  • My understanding is that we use a hyphen if it's placed before the noun (a newly-informed Nell) but not if it's placed after (Nell is newly informed).
  • *feels for Nell*
  • To replace a long dash with a short one you could try "replace space/short dash/space with space/long dash/space"
    My Word 2007 creates a long dash after I've typed the space after the word after the dash, so to replace an iffy one I delete the short dash, retype it, add a space and m and then a space, then go back and delete the m.

Serves me right for getting it wrong in the first place!
  • 'We should be there in about' - he glanced at his watch - 'ten minutes, I'd say.'
    'We should be there in about' (he glanced at his watch) 'ten minutes, I'd say.'
    We should be there in about'—he glanced at his watch—'ten minutes, I'd say.'

The dashes are to show that you've inserted something, a sort of parenthesis. Therefore you wouldn't need the first comma as you wouldn't with the brackets.

Short dashes are en dashes. Long ones are em dashes. Now, there are rules (you knew there would be) about them.

For a start em dashes don't come with spaces either side.
    The em dash is used when—for instance—you insert a clause or break off a speech. 'You don't mean to say -' would be ‘You don’t mean to say—' The em dash doesn't take a space, but it is increasingly being replaced by en dashes with spaces.

So it depends on the house rules which you choose. I can't get an em dash without looking in symbols in Word because I can't work out how to do ALT+CTRL+Num -
    I haven't tried in Scriv yet, but I'm sticking with en dashes unless told to the contrary.
    For the purposes of this post, I copied and pasted one from Word and just kept copying and pasting!
  • Oh bugger. Back to the drawing board.
  • My head is spinning!

Baggy said: I'd actually consider hyphenating it, TN - depending on the message and context.

Friendly-looking against friendly looking - hyphen needed for the correct context.

*waits for TN to put 'em all back*

Luckily, a friend popped around before I had chance to meddle with my dashes and adverbs...
  • I'd stick to whatever's easiest, Lizy!
  • Chucking in my two penneth.

“We should be there in about…” he glanced at his watch, “ten minutes, I’d say.”

The ellipsis is a break, same as a comma. One replaces the other. Not a clue if this is right, but it’s the way I would write it. Not really a major issue unless every other letter, word, and use of grammar in the story is spot on and you’re ready to send now, now, now! :D
  • I'd chicken out altogether.
    He glanced at his watch. 'We should be there in about ten minutes, I'd say.'
  • I can't press the button. I'm too fraught about punctuation issues, not to mention a blurb that needs tightening.
  • Loving this thread, and learning so much. I'll have to bookmark it.
  • *ponders book-marking*
  • *ponders book-marking*
    I'd never find it again if I didn't bookmark it. And one day I'll want to know about those dashes. :)
  • Bookmarking - applying a (physical or electronic) bookmark. Or book mark. Or book-mark. No, definitely bookmark. OED says so.
    Doesn't book look odd the more you write it?
  • edited April 2014
    *nods*

Especially baggy ones.
  • Oops - didn't notice Baggy was pondering the hyphen, rather than pondering why I'm bookmarking this thread. #-o
  • I wasn't really doing either. I was actually wondering when S & M would give his expert advice on punctures.
  • I'd go with:

"We should be there in about..." He glanced at his watch. "Ten minutes, I'd say."

Avoids the tricky comma after watch which doesn't really fit with the speech marks that follow.
  • edited April 2014
    I wasn't really doing either. I was actually wondering when S & M would give his expert advice on punctures.
    I've already made one facetious comment on this thread. I wish you'd all shut up and stop being so smart-arsed. I can't concern myself with this sort of trivia at my age. 'If it looks right it is right' is the way to go.

• Em Dash or En Dash (not to be confused with the hyphen)
    Whereas a pica is a fixed-width space (one-sixth of an inch, remember) irrespective of the font being used, the width of other spaces will vary according to the font. An em space, or an em dash (which is a dash of the same width as an em space, and is sometimes called an em rule) is based on the width of the capital M in the font being used.
    The em space, or simply the em, can be used as a unit of measure when specifying layout. For example, you could specify that paragraphs are to be indented two ems. In GuideML, using the
    tag indents the paragraph four ems.
    The em dash can be used as punctuation. Some matters of punctuation are the subject of endless (and sometimes heated!) debate, and the suggestions here are offered only as suggestions.
    One common usage is to replace commas or parentheses (brackets) either side of a phrase, as in, for example:
    This is how—if you like—you could use a pair of em dashes.
    The em dash could also be used instead of an ellipsis (...) to indicate something unfinished:
    She exclaimed, 'What the— !'
    The en space and the en dash are nominally half the width of an em. When used parenthetically the en dash, unlike the em dash, usually has a space either side of it:
    This is how – if you like – you could use a pair of en dashes.
    The en dash can also be used, without flanking spaces, to replace the word 'to' in expressions such as:
    There were about 20–25 people there.
    or
    I caught the New York–Boston flight.

When using Microsoft Word to type your work an en dash and em dash can be inserted thus:

From the menus at the top of your screen select Insert

From the drop-down menu select Symbol

At the top of the box with then opens select Special Characters

Highlight the character you wish to use and then click on Insert at bottom right of the box.

ALTERNATIVELY hold down the Ctrl key and the Alt key together and hit the – key on the number pad. This will insert an em dash.

Hold down the Ctrl key and hit the – key to insert an en dash
  • 'ALTERNATIVELY hold down the Ctrl key and the Alt key together and hit the – key on the number pad. This will insert an em dash. '

That's the bit I couldn't work out! It's the dash on the number pad, not Num + -
    Thanks, Betsie!
  • Flippin' 'eck!

I'm going to stick with what I've been doing so far. If an agent finally realises the worth of my writing and actually signs me up, some professional can help me iron out the wrinkles.

And I thought if you used dots to indicate a pause for thought, you were supposed to type space dot space dot space dot . . . and another space if it ends in quotation marks. No? Oh well . . .
  • Now talking about wrinkles: what cream would you recommend?
  • Ice cream.
  • edited May 2014
    Oh, and what flavour? (Should I place a comma after Oh,? )
  • edited May 2014
    Do have a comma, Stan. Be profligate.
  • Profligate - hey, steady on, I have my reputation to think of.
  • edited May 2014
    To continue this discussion regarding dashes...
    I have a question regarding something I'm working on. It's written in the third person, and I'm trying to explain why the character is so besotted with someone. I want to show how intensely he feels by the repetition of 'so', and then want to slow the pace and create a pause for the reader after the final 'so', to highlight that intensity.
    I have written:
    Instead, just one taste had launched an affair so dazzling, so glittering, so - unstoppable – it had become a threat.

My question is: have I used the dashes correctly to achieve that?
    p.s. I have no interest in re-writing the sentence, I only want to know if my en dashes are right.
    p.p.s. I have tried to find the answer, but it isn't easy to find an example of what I'm trying to convey.
  • I think I would write:

so... unstoppable, it had become a threat.

as though he is thinking about it.
  • That's what I'd say too, TN.
  • Hmm. I don't much fancy using ellipses though. I've always understood that they're not well regarded in literature.
  • Well, your way might be The Way, Claudia. I can't think of any other alternatives, but watch this space...
  • I am watching this space, [note the comma] but nothing much is happening.
  • Might have to start a fresh thread as people may not realise there's another query on it. I'll give it until tomorrow.
    :-\"
  • edited May 2014
    'Instead, just one taste had launched an affair so dazzling, so glittering, so - unstoppable, it had become a threat. '
    I've changed a dash to a comma. If you have a dash before and after 'unstoppable', the sentence has to be readable without it, which it wouldn't be: 'so glittering, so it had become a threat.' The hiatus you want is before 'unstoppable', to imply that he can't quite find the word to explain it.
    Otherwise you could have:
    'Instead, just one taste had launched an affair so dazzling, so glittering - so unstoppable - it had become a threat. '
    Another alternative would be to put 'unstoppable' in italics, if you're using them at all, and lose the dashes altogether.
  • edited May 2014
    The hiatus you want is before 'unstoppable', to imply that he can't quite find the word to explain it.
    Yes! Succinctly and more perfectly articulated than my clumsy attempt to explain what I'm trying to achieve! And thank you for your suggestions - very helpful.
  • edited May 2014
    Tiny Nell is right, Claudia: the effect you're going for requires an ellipsis.

Dashes don't usually signal a pause. They can be used - as in this example - to add a 'side note' to a sentence, in the same way you'd use parentheses or, for that matter, a pair of commas. Or I could have used one instead of the colon after Claudia in my first sentence - like this.

I'm not aware of ellipses being poorly regarded in literature. I've seen them used often enough, although like anything I would advise against using them too frequently. Too many on a page can look very... untidy.
  • Hmm, OK - that's given me pause for thought, Danfango.
    What I didn't mention, is that this is a very short piece of flash, and this happens twice. A later sentence reads:
    How could such rapture, such – passion - be harmful?

I want to keep these 'hesitations' because they are very much part of the rhythm of the prose and characterise the dilemma the character is faced with.

If Mrs Bear's solution of a dash followed by a comma is still incorrect, maybe I will have to go with italics instead as I definitely don't like the idea of two sets of ellipses.