Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Long passages of speech

edited May 2014 in Writing
I know things change, but is it still the case that if a character produces unbroken speech over several paragraphs you have the usual opening and closing speech marks at beginning and end, but also start each consecutive paragraph with a further opening speech mark?

E.g.

'xxxx
xxxx

'xxxx
xxxx

'xxxx
xxxx

'xxxx
xxxx'

Comments

• I believe so.

Personally I prefer it broken up with a bit of narrative. Even if the character just pauses for a moment, or takes a sip of water it helps the reader feel they're watching events, not just reading a speech.
  • edited May 2014
    Fascinating conversation in your piece TN. But it will end in tears.
  • I agree, Phots Moll, but I just wanted to check the rules.
  • Yes, that's right, TN. Each new para should start with speech marks, but closing ones only at the very end.
  • How odd that you asked this question whne something almost identical was worrying me!
    I have a character telling a story - actually narrating it as a story-teller would - and I was wondering whether that rule applied.
  • I have my uses, Lizy!
  • You do?!
  • 'Who says?''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
  • TN does!