Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

From beginning to end or all over the place??

edited May 2014 in Writing
Just wanted to gauge how people write - I tend to plot out a basic premise then I do an introduction - after that I'm all over the place - writing bits and pieces out of sequence/order in fact I usually write the ending way before I get there it works for me because it gives me little milestones to aim for as I go along and usually means I never get 'blocked' because I can jump around - it does bring some continuity issues in now and then but I'm getting better at dealing with them - my biggest problem is when I randomly decide to change a characters name 3/4 of the way through and even on my 3rd edit I still come across the old name lol - if some of you do suffer from writers block and you don't do this - might be worth a try or maybe everybody works like this and everyone is bonkers lol

Comments

• I know the sequence in my head when I start, datco. Then the characters decide they don't like it and send me off all over the place. I've woken up a couple of mornings this week with Very Important Scenes in my head, so have to write them down or never see them again. I write in Scrivener, which makes all this really easy and readily accessible.
    I'm currently re-working a novel from ten years ago - it was supposed to be a quick edit, but then I realised how much work needed to be done - and even that wasn't as much as it turns out to be. Still, the end is in sight.
  • I am the same datco I write all over the place, sometimes writing the ending before I have done the middle as I then know where I am headed.
    Use find and replace to change names then it won't turn up again.
  • I have a general plan, write sequentially, though if I come to a point where I know I need a certain scene but I've not got it in my mind, then I just go to the scene beyond that and carry on.

I know the end, I may just get there in a slightly different way than I first thought- a slight diversion you could say. :)
  • edited May 2014
    If I have a scene I'm worried about 'losing' (you know the kind you've just mentally written during a shower, and don't want to forget before bed) I might write it down, but I'd probably rewrite it when I came to the place it slotted into, so that it fits what has gone before. But almost all the time I write from beginning to end. I like knowing that the bits I'm looking forward to/are easier are ahead, so that if I'm slogging along, there's a reward at the end (I never eat dessert first, either :) ). I'm using Scrivener for the first time too, and it's definitely helping me to write in the short bursts I do, as I can see my overview so easily.
  • edited May 2014
    I am into non-fiction writing. I too write chapters out of the sequence in which they will finally appear. I have to check that there is no repetition.
  • I have a rough idea in my head and might write a few notes, but not much. Then I'll write from beginning to end. I find it hard to write out of sequence because I'm making it up as I go, so characters and events will come in unexpectedly!
  • I'm a beginning-to-end sorta gal. I do jot down ideas for what will come in later, but they are not written as scenes. I would find it all too difficult to seamlessly amalgamate.
  • We have to find the method that works best for us.
  • Outline-first draft-second draft. All beginning to end. Third Draft. Slightly randomised. Beta. Rewrite. And.. who knows what next..I'll let you know when it happens ;)