Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

One of those days

edited May 2014 in Writing
Wrote some great stuff yesterday, words were flowing it felt like really inspirational stuff. Read it back this morning and it was c**p!!

Lol sometimes it just doesn't work even when it's flowing - weird game this writing lark!!

Comments

• It's not for the sane...
  • And in another few days you'll look at it and realise not all of it is irredeemable.
  • Oh dear - but at least it's only a day's worth. If it had been a whole book . .
  • Maybe the words weren't right but the idea was, datco - that's why we edit.
    Don't junk it all just yet!
  • edited May 2014
    Well, I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who has days like that!
  • Until a couple of years ago I worked on the principle that everything I wrote was crap. Life was far less demanding in those days.
  • You only know what's good when you've seen bad. See - every cloud has a silver lining!
  • I usually have that feeling just after I've sent something off to a competition or magazine.
    Unfortunately, the judges/editors mainly seem to agree with me. :((
  • Ah, I know that feeling, Heather.

Lizy, I've been there and done that. Wrote a book without looking back over my shoulder, and when I read the whole thing back I found it was the worst writing I'd produced since my very first attempts at short stories. I polished it repeatedly, but it took such a long time and had the effect of making novel writing a struggle for me. Too much doubt. I've got back into the zone a bit more, recently.

But usually, as Carol says, you can dislike something one day then return to it and realise it isn't all bad. I like those kinds of days :)
  • I usually have that feeling just after I've sent something off to a competition or magazine.
    Unfortunately, the judges/editors mainly seem to agree with me. :((
    Oh dear Heather - you too?
    Last year I emailed a submission and in the subject line I had typed a semicolon instead of an L. I only saw it after I had pressed 'Send'.

In my own defence I was going through some health issues that made my brain a bit blurred, but even so, I was almost relieved when they refused and I could delete the embarrassing reminder!

• That Send button's so final. Scary stuff.