Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

What's the best scrabble move you've ever made?

edited May 2014 in Writing
You see them don't you, the killer moves, and you're always one letter short or you've got an i instead of an e. I've sometimes played a word I like rather than a higher scoring boring word.

Comments

• I haven't played in a long time - although sometimes writing feels a bit that way.
  • edited May 2014
    I play the Mattell Scrabble on Facebook - it's great. You can have lots of games on the go with people from all over the world. Sometimes in the late evening I'm playing with people on my PC downstairs, then when I go up to bed I log in and continue the game via my iPad.
    Scores: my best words score is 86
  • edited May 2014
    You see them don't you, the killer moves, and you're always one letter short or you've got an i instead of an e.
    Aagh, soooo many times!

The best move I ever made? Swapping letters with my mother under the table between our toes. Haha
  • I love Scrabble, but Hubby's so competitive. The sole aim of the game for him is to bag all the triple scores. For me, it's making the most of my letters and coming up with an imaginative word. Between us, we have had some cracking scores - on occasion using all nine letters and getting an extra fifty points, but I can't remember specifics. We don't need to write them down as we have the 'de-luxe' (vintage - from my childhood) version with pegs!
  • using all nine letters
    How do you fit nine letters on a seven space tile holder? : )

• Oops! I mean seven.

Is it Countdown that has nine?
  • Countdown does have nine, but couldn't you actually get a nine in Scrabble by using letters from existing words on the top and middle rows to start and end your 7? Can't quite picture the board sufficiently right now to confirm.
    Sure to create a whopping score though, plus 50 bonus for using them all!
  • Ah, yes! That's it, Webbo.

I surely must have done that.

*coughs*
  • I have several Scrabble games on the go on My iPad. And most evenings Maureen and myself play iPad Scabble.
  • Pete loves Scrabble, but I'm not so keen. I don't like the fact there is such a long time between goes, I get bored. He sometimes beats me because of this. I love using all 7 tiles, though.

The surprise brilliant player in our family is daughter's b/f - she was worried that he'd feel daunted because he is very dyslexic, but in fact it means he can see words in the mixed up letters really quickly and if he is playing he often wins!

We have a delux version which spins and means we don't have to keep getting up to move the board round...
  • Ha! You've got the same as us, Liz - and it has a framework on top to sit the tiles in so that they don't slip!
  • Like PM, I haven't played Scrabble in a long time either.
  • I don't like the fact there is such a long time between goes, I get bored. He sometimes beats me because of this.
    This is where the humble egg-timer comes in handy. Produce a word in the given time or lose your go.

• Yes, I'm afraid we all like plenty of time, so we can drink sufficiently etc in between goes. An egg timer would be thrown out of the window...
  • That's far too stressful, Mike.

I like to ponder, scratch my chin, re-jig my letters into every possible combination, imagine them in different locations on the board, crossing with other words, taking into consideration what advantages I may be giving to others.

Oh, no, Mike. No egg timer here either...
  • My Mum plays scrabble on Facebook, on her Iphone, on the Ipad and her kindle. She loves it. I can’t stand the game. I simple can’t rearrange the letters to make a word in my head. If I have the tiles in front of me I might jumble them up and accidently make a word but then there is the problem of fitting it in. Oddly enough I can’t do it if the game is on a screen.
    Having said all that I once made the word station on a triple word score! Still didn’t win…
  • This story is rather better spoken than written - cos you'll only go and read it correctly. Anyway, here goes -
    A friend whose sister was visiting him in college challenged me to a game of scrabble with her because she was apparently some sort of unofficial champion and quite unbeatable. I guess he thought I'd get my come-uppance.
    As the game proceeded neck and neck and sister got more and more agitated because she was not supposed to find it this difficult, I played an obscure word which she challenged. But my word was correct and sister accepted with bad grace. A little later I played a word which she read as rhyming with "boing." Well, you certainly can't have that, she said. You can't have "doing." It's not "doing," I replied. It's "doing."
  • not ding or dong but doing! said Zebedee
  • edited May 2014
    Yes, I'm afraid we all like plenty of time, so we can drink sufficiently etc in between goes. An egg timer would be thrown out of the window...
    Yes, I know what you mean. We once went drinking for three days between goes. We lost the egg timer somewhere in Amsterdam. : )

• Good job too losing egg timer! Online games often last several days. Today I best an opponent who beats me time after time and who comes out with long words that I have never seen before. This is only the second time that I have beaten her. There is another player who mostly beats me but today I won - this is about the third time. I like a good challenging game even if I lose.