Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

A top agent speaks

edited May 2014 in Writing
http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-27343135
Jonny Geller, Joint CEO of Curtis Brown, talks about his job, about what he wants from an author - and also suggests that social media doesn't work for writers. The idea that you should get out there and publicise like billy-oh on FB and wherever isn't as great as it was first thought - an idea echoed in the article by Margaret James in May's WM.

Comments

• I don't think Facebook works, actually, unless at a personal level, getting to know other writers, which has proved useful to me.

I think writers need to speak through their words and also at events. But no-one pays much for you to go to an event...
  • That's interesting - but for a self-funding author, you have to take advantage of some things - including social media. Well-placed promotion is worth the effort.

I'm frustrated that the author of my current book has virtually no presence.

But I can appreciate what JG means - "I think there is a mystery behind certain writers that social media destroys and actually what they're doing is giving material away for free!" - but he is dealing with big names.
  • Yes, it is different for big names, they start at an advanced position on the snakes and ladders board of publishing, and social media seems to play a different role than for the unknown writer.