Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

How do you choose an agent?

edited May 2014 in Writing
I am, like hundreds or even thousands of writers, still looking for an agent.

I've been through the WAYB ,crossing out those who only do non-fiction or TV scripts and similar non-starters, then gone through again looking for specific 'likes'. It doesn't help that the print is so small but that's my problem.

I've picked out a few possibles at a time and perused their websites, trying to find the right agent in one particular office - created superb submission letters, printed off synopses and 3 chapters - checked and re-checked and posted or emailed, and I'm still looking.

Today I was doing the same again and my brain glazed over. It's such a boring chore.
Is there any other way of approaching it? Any website into which I could enter "agents looking for new writers" or "agents who don't mind me living abroad" or even "agents who will have the courtesy to reply"?

What do YOU do?

Comments

• Have you thought of following Datco's example of cutting out the middle man?
  • that's the next thing I must look into I think.
  • Agent Hunter (cost £12 per year) I am told can be of help. http://www.agenthunter.co.uk/
    Literary Rejections offers an awful lot more insight some times. Including an agent's wish list some times.
    http://www.literaryrejections.com/
  • hi folks

I used agent hunter - it's actually very good and much better than trawling through the writers year book - also try googling 'new uk literary agents looking for clients' - none of this actually helped me get an agent right enough!!! So I gave up trying. They are probably a bit like buses...you know 3 or 4 will come along at once!
  • So datco - to sum up - they're actually very good but they never actually helped you to get an agent?

Have I got that right?
  • Hi lizy, sorry for delay - hectic afternoon - yeah I should clarify that - I first of all tried the writers yearbook thing which often was out of date by time it was in print eg agents that I queried had left and gone elsewhere etc the agent hunter is more up to date and the google thing is even more up to date - so if ur looking to query agents in my opinion the latter two are better BUT neither are guaranteed to get you representation - like a lot of stuff in this business a lot down to luck and of course hard work - and having something they consider commercial - or you could simply say you are katie price and they'll be queuing at your door!
  • Hi Lizy,

I am currently dragging myself through the process and on my second round of subs *nods head in sympathy*. I have joined twitter on the recommendation of another writer so I can access the #askagent sessions which take place fairly regularly on a Sunday eve. This is where agents are available for an hour to answer any questions you may have on the publishing process. I have found it to be very useful and advice is specific to the question you ask. Through twitter I also follow Literary Rejections (like Silver Linings) who send regular tweets on which agents are currently accepting subs etc. Also, other writers send notifications about this too, so it's just about being in the loop really. I am pretty new to twitter (and to social media in general) so I am still finding my way around it, but hope this helps. Good luck with the subs.
  • You don't choose an agent; they choose you. Or they don't. I have been unable to get an agent and I've had three novels published.
  • It's half past ten at night and probably past my bedtime - all this "do it yourself" advice will have to wait till my brain can cope.

All I want to do is write and have someone else do the rest, which is totally impossible in today's world, I know, but a girl can dream!

:)>-
  • I'm in the process of looking for an agent or publisher for my next novel. I look out for news of new agents joining agencies because they are often looking for clients. I also keep an eye on people who get book deals and who their agents are.