Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Grammatical query

edited May 2014 in Writing
I was reading an article by Gove, in which he wrote "If they wish to include Steinbeck...no one would be more delighted than me, because I want children to read more widely and range more freely intellectually in every subject."
That immediately struck me as wrong - shouldn't it be "no one would be more delighted than I (would), because I want...." ?
And if I'm wrong and Gove (and the editor of the Telegraph) are right, why is that? Does anyone know?

Comments

• Not many people speak grammatically all the time, and if it's reported speech I shouldn't think they'd change it.
  • I do believe you're right. Perhaps Mr. Gove should go back to school. The editor of the Telegraph, on the other hand, was obliged to quote him accurately, mistakes and all. Perhaps [sic] should have been inserted after the mistake, or maybe the Telegraph doesn't trust its readers to know the difference.
  • Grammatically it should be I - no-one is more delighted than I (am).
  • You can re-jig the sentence to make it even clearer: I would be more delighted than anybody else.

To be grammatically correct and still use 'me' he would have to say something like: It would delight me more than anybody else.
  • But does it matter in speech? There is definitely a difference between my spoken English and my written English and I'm sure I'm not alone.
  • I don't think it's as important in 'real', day-to-day speech (or, for that matter, on an internet forum!). But the original post related to a written article in a broadsheet newspaper, so that's what we were responding to.
  • The 'me' doesn't bother me. It's clear what he means. I'm not so sure about 'range more freely intellectually' though. What does that mean?

• Is it something to do with letting your mind wander? I'm sure most school kids don't need any help with that.
  • Two adjectives in a row is clumsy when written, but speech is much more free-ranging (intellectually or otherwise).
  • "Than I" is grammatically correct, in my opinion, but people do usually say "Than me".
    What always grates on my ear is "Dave and me went . ." or "They gave it to Dave and I ..." yet I hear those mistakes all the time.
  • It wasn't reported speech, but an article written by His Oddness, so no excuses!
    Here's the link for anyone who is bored: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/10857133/Michael-Gove-Kill-a-Mockingbird-Id-never-dream-of-it.html.
    And thank you all for your input - such a wealth of expertise in one place!
  • Ah, well in that case, he should clearly be kicked out of office as education minister.