Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Another opinion sought

edited June 2014 in Writing
I just came here and saw Tiny Nell's thread. Looks like we had the same idea. I've just started a blog again and joined Twitter. Let's just say I thought it's time to push myself out there. But I've got no book to promote. Just hoping people might be interested to follow me on a journey -- one where, hopefully, I'll have more short stories published to share along the way for a start.

But I do have a book sitting around doing nothing. Thing is, I tried publishing it before. Hadn't got much of a scooby about promotion. That might be one reason it failed. Maybe the cover wasn't great either (I made it myself and I just couldn't get the red text to look right when shrunk down on Amazon's pages). I always wondered after receiving comments like this from other writers, back in 2010-11, before I took the plunge last time:

"The device of writing in the present tense, such a difficult skill to master and sustain throughout a novel, is a masterstroke in this case . . .The key to this book is 'atmosphere'"

"The perceptivity and sensitivity of the author of Requiem is evident throughout this hauntingly engrossing tale"

"This is lyrically written, in a way that represents the music inherent within the book"

"There's a voyeuristic feel to the narrative. It makes the reader uneasy (in an exciting way) and metaphorically on the edge of the seat. The psychology of Mary is skillful."

"a beautifully written piece of literature even though it is the horror genre"

"There is a haunting quality to this that is at once lyrical and yet disturbing"

"Your prose is masterful, wrought with beautiful words and phrasing and dark subtle foreshadowing"

"It's nice to meet up with horror that is not of the spatter-gore variety, but much more subtle and disturbing that involves you intellectually."

"The warmth of love with which Rose keeps calming her mother's fears feels rather unsettling. I'm not sure how you achieve that."

Yes, these comments were from Authonomy, where some people only comment to get backings in return. But I believe these were genuine opinions -- especially as they seemed to get it.

Anyhow, to get to the point I am wondering whether to take another shot with it. So I wondered if anyone here would be interested in reading it and giving their opinion. Is it worth saving from the waste basket?

Let me know if you'd like to. Message me an email address. And when I get back to my desk, as I'm off to feed the birds in my garden, etc., I'll send you a copy.

Comments