Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Swanwick Poetry Win!

2»

Comments

• What?! Of course you can Toothlight!
  • edited June 2014
    I agree with them, toothlight. I have an author page on Amazon (due to the anthologies I have stories in) and, in addition to other stuff, I have stated that I have been shortlisted in BBC Wildlife Magazine, Wanderlust Magazine and longlisted for the Fish Short story competition.
    Although 'Winner of...' has a certain ring to it, I'm proud of those achievements because a long or shortlisting means that the judges gave my entry more than a passing glance - and that's something to shout about. :)

edited to add: and what about all those books with 'shortlisted for the (insert appropriate year) Man Booker' splashed all over their shiny covers?
  • Good point, Claudia. I couldn't agree more.
  • Congratulations, Montholon and Toothlight.

I don't use a writing cv, but if I were to produce any kind of list of my successes, shortlistings would go on it.
  • Okay folks, you've made a good point. I was coming from the views of Dr John Yeoman, who runs Writers-Village. His competitions are world renowned and get entries accordingly from round the globe. His précis critriques are excellent, so when I actually won a prize (third), I acted on his advice and it's now on my writing CV. He suggests you put 'winner', 'second,' etc and name the competition from Writers-Village. At the end of the day, of course,it's what YOU have written that will impress an editor/judge.
  • Publishers seem to prefer writers who've written more than one thing and who promote themselves. Mentioning lots of competition placings and shortlistings would help show this. But yes, the most important thing is the work you're submitting.
  • Well done. nef and mono - brilliant!
  • Having won the Swanwick poetry prize in the past I can tell you that you will just LOVE the week at Swanwick. I was only short listed this year but I am going there anyway. So congrats to you Well done
  • Congratulations to you all!
  • Well done both. Claudia, being shortlisted isn't failure it is better than not being mentioned at all. :D
  • Claudia, being shortlisted isn't failure it is better than not being mentioned at all. :D
    ?? Never said being shortlisted is a failure - quite the opposite.

Although 'Winner of...' has a certain ring to it, I'm proud of those achievements because a long or shortlisting means that the judges gave my entry more than a passing glance - and that's something to shout about. :)