Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Grammar checker

edited June 2014 in Writing
Hi,
As this is my second post, and everybody was very helpful with good advice, I thought I would be bold again and ask another question.

Does anybody know (if it is possible) where I can buy (or is there such a thing) as a CD-ROM Grammar Checker? I’ve used an online one (trial) but they want $7.00 per month for such privilege. I don’t use it enough for a monthly payment.

My grammar is pretty reasonable, however, because I write a lot mistakes slip through and I have found that with the online grammar checker (which I mentioned above) does pull up the mistakes I had missed. If nobody knows of one that I can buy do you know of any free online ones?
I do use Word (2010) and their grammar checker is terrible and very primitive so I don’t use it.
Again thank you.
Glenn (voice)

Comments

• Is Grammerly the one you tried?
  • Hi,

No; Ginger. Is Grammerly free and any good? Do you know of one you can buy? Thanks.
  • I did a free trial of Grammarly (which is why I wondered if it was the one you'd tried) and it seemed fine, but I didn't think it was worth paying for such a service so didn't continue with it.

Just looked it up and it's expensive. It's also American which might be a problem if you're not writing for a US market.
  • Hi Phots Moll,

Ginger was also American and wasn't exactly that good. But I would prefer a CD-ROM.
  • voice, do you subscribe to WM? Lou, one of our TBers, has an article in there about grammar-checking software. She mentions it in the thread 'Who's in July's copy of Writing Magazine?' (or words to that effect)
  • voice, do you subscribe to WM? Lou, one of our TBers, has an article in there about grammar-checking software. She mentions it in the thread 'Who's in July's copy of Writing Magazine?' (or words to that effect)
    Hi Tiny Nell,

I have just subscribed to WM and before that I bought a few copies; I'll check thanks. But if anybody knows of a CD-ROM to purchase please tell!

• This is a pertinent thread! Yes, in my article this month I review grammar checkers and my conclusion is that Word pretty much does everything you need, and Ginger can pick up anything extra if you want to double check. Grammarly did as much as Word or Ginger but not significantly more. So if you write with Word I'd stick with that, but you do need to go into the settings and turn everything on that you possibly can to get the most thorough proof check!
  • Hi Lou,

Thanks for that advice.
  • This is a pertinent thread! Yes, in my article this month I review grammar checkers and my conclusion is that Word pretty much does everything you need, and Ginger can pick up anything extra if you want to double check. Grammarly did as much as Word or Ginger but not significantly more. So if you write with Word I'd stick with that, but you do need to go into the settings and turn everything on that you possibly can to get the most thorough proof check!
    Hi Lou,

I want to thank you for pointing me in the direction of your article. It was very informative, especially on the grammar checker in Word. I actually thought it was useless until I looked deeper and clicked a few extra buttons and now I am using to its full potential. It has made me revise some of my work (or notice what I had missed).

Again thank you. I am glad I have subscribed to Writing Magazine and joined this forum/ web site.

Glenn (voice)

• You're welcome, voice. I was also surprised at how in-depth the grammar checker actually was!