Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

False Critics & Reviews

edited June 2014 in Writing
Most of us know about the alleged "Positive Fake Reviews" on Amazon that were said to be somehow connected to the author; for example a family member or close friend had submitted them.

However, have you ever received an harsh unjustified "Negative Review" and wondered why did this or these critics said what they had and come to that conclusion on a book that you may have written?

If "Yes", then perhaps the person behind such a negative review may not be who they really are purporting to be and have pre-set agenda at hand... http://12160.info/profiles/blogs/false-critics-reviews-what-every-author-has-to-know

Comments

• Sadly there are a lot of unpleasant people out there...
  • Tiz true Carol...
  • Does anybody really take any notice of Amazon reviews though? Maybe if I'm spending hundreds on something I would take the reviews into account - but for a £10/£15 book, not really. I would guess (hope!) these people are wasting their time and it doesn't really make much difference to sales.
  • I think the authors take notice - and probably take it to heart.
  • I do read them if I'm taking a punt on an unknown author, but the 'Look Inside' feature often clinches it one way or the other.
  • Yes, Baggy - they mean a lot to the authors!
  • It's cool that you don't take notice Mark, but many do as it states in the article and it applies to me. Though saying that what Tiny has pointed out - you can tell a lot by the 'Look Inside' feature, but we tend to be swayed by the reviews - especially if they are really harsh. And Baggy Books - I don't know of one author who wouldn't take unfair and malicious comments to heart - after all - many hours, months or years can be spent researching and writing the book in various drafts and at an expense - that to then have it slated by fake-critics - is like a dagger being thrust into ones back - says the online writer with an hint of experience in this kind of onslaught and attack!!
  • Writers know they type of reviews exist, but a lot of ordinary readers don't and will believe these deliberate bad/fake reviews...
  • I think it's human nature Carol. Like I say, I always go to the reviews first. I've now got smarter in spotting bad/fake reviews - but if it's something I really want I will ignore the negative comments. Good thing is if the book is half decent then the genuine readers reviews will also shine through, though sadly not bright enough in a sea of many negs and the damage has already been done!
  • "but if it's something I really want I will ignore the negative comments. "

Spot on. I think this is a crucial point. I suppose it's up to us to make sure the blurb and even the cover makes a reader want the book, then the reviews won't matter as much.

"I do read them if I'm taking a punt on an unknown author, but the 'Look Inside' feature often clinches it one way or the other."

I really don't know what to make of the 'Look Inside' feature. It kind of makes you want to put all the good stuff up at the beginning, to encourage the reader to buy the book - when your writer's mind is really telling you to leave the good stuff until the end. Pesky Amazon!
  • edited June 2014
    We're on the same page Mark. And that's part of the art of writing when you can pre-plan and be aware that's how it works; - and why it's quite important to always start with a Foreword or Introduction - that in a sense is an extended blurb and that will lead them into the first chapter...sorted!!
  • I always skip forewards/intros. I'm more likely to look for more info at the end if I've enjoyed the book.
  • I'm afraid I do take notice of reviews and buy accordingly, but the daft reviews do tend to stand out. I'll pick a few I think are intelligently and sensibly written and weigh them up against my desire to splurge the cash.
  • My novel has one review on Amazon, which is a mixed blessing. It gives the book four stars but also makes some negative comments. When I read the criticisms, I was horrified, but then I checked out other reviews by the writer and discovered that he makes the same comments in all of them. On the whole, I think it's better to have a review than not. Even if it's negative, there's a chance that it will make a reader want to check the sample to see if he or she agrees.
  • Looking at his other reviews, I think you should be pleased with that one. He doesn't mince his words with any of the other books he's read. I particularly liked the one headed, 'A Rambling Story That Needs Proofreading' - not the author's finest piece of work. At least that reviewer gives examples of what he likes/doesn't like about a book.

As a writer, he's also victim to bad reviews...
  • Does anybody really take any notice of Amazon reviews though?

I read the Amazon reviews. You get a good gist of whether a book is good or bad. However, you also can tell the professionals on there. They try to be too clever. I ignore them. Nevertheless, at the end of the day it is down to you as everybody’s tastes are different.