Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Why have a blog?

edited June 2014 in Writing
Inspired by one of the other threads, I wondered what everyone's wider thoughts are on blogging. Why do you have a blog (if you have one of course)?

- Is it to help publicise your books/services. (This is my reason by the way.)
- Is it just to help organise/record your thoughts? A bit like a traditional diary really, except that everyone can take a peak.
- Is it just because you think you ought to have one?

I put quite a bit of work into my blogs (markhempshell.blogspot.co.uk and marketing-inspiration.info). Sometimes I get hundreds of visits in a week, which is great, but sometimes there are hardly any and so I wonder whether there is really any point.

Would be really interested to hear what everyone thinks.

Tagged:

Comments

• Funnily enough I was reading the free excerpt from your book last night (online advertising) and I agree - if you don't have a blog, get one.

Attracting readers - as opposed to hits - is the key.

We have some very popular bloggers on TB and I think their success can be measured by how many hits are transferred into readers that post comments.

As to your question, is there any point in having one if you don't get many hits (let alone readers)? Yes - evaluate why that might be and see if you can edit the content to improve the stats.
  • Blogging is vital.

I've found from looking at my stats that some subjects get persistent high numbers both at the time and for months after, and other items that don't seem popular at the time can get quite a few views later on...
  • Blogging is vital.

Really?

I have tried to set up a blog a couple of times - because I keep being told that I'm supposed to have one - and found them very un-user friendly. (I'm not a great techie, but I'm not completely hopeless.)

Anyway, I haven't persevered because I never read peoples' blogs and don't see why anyone would read mine. I spend enough time on the computer/on-line without spending even more reading or writing blogs.

p.s. for those who don't know, I'm not a novelist with a book to promote which may explain my reasoning! :)
  • I have a patchy one, but I really have no idea what to write in it. Those I have looked at seem full of facts, quoting other people, adding extracts, etc, etc. I can't imagine anyone wanting to read my drivel. To do it properly, I think, would be like preparing a mini project each day. I haven't got time.
  • I think that's why people get put off, though - you don't need to post every day. Personally I think even once a month is okay as long as you have something useful and relevant to say. But if you don't like the thought of regular updates then you're better off with a website.
  • It's like a free advert - if you don't have anything to market then you don't need a blog.

You can have a blog just for fun, but in that case you wouldn't worry about the stats.
  • My blog is partly to help promote my work, but it's also a way of keeping in touch with other readers and writers.

Every week I post links to free to enter writing competitions. That gives me an extra reason to look for these and encourages me to enter some. I also put links to free ebooks or give aways by my friends and contacts.

Like everything you get out what you put in. If you regularly post something interesting and/or useful you'll get readers. If you have nothing to say or rarely post then there's no reason for people to visit. Same goes if it's just a series of adverts.
  • My blog is nothing to do with my writing although it does give a link to the site I run for my local writers' group. My initial purpose was for my family and friends to keep in touch. I write a short piece without fail every day and find I get around 300 hits per day. I've had friends complain if I'm late posting. It's just my random thoughts and family happenings.
  • What is your blog address Betsie or is it family and friends only?
  • Tim Kevan, a barrister, used to blog about life a la barre (sic!) and a publisher picked it up and as a direct result published 'Baby Barista the art of war' and later 'peace and law' (or was it law and peace ... ?)
    For him it was certainly a good move!
  • Claudia - ~I'm a hopeless techie too, but I managed to create a blog on Blogspot - with a bit of help from TB friends, I must admit. You can do it - if you want to. L-)
  • Yes, I agree - Blogspot is fairly easy to do (if a little bit limited in features).

Thanks for comments everybody, some interesting views.
  • Every evening at 10pm I tweet a link to a book review on my blog. It's interesting to see which books attract most hits.

Liz Fielding is always popular, but recently datco2014's book is bumping around quite nicely. I bet he never thought he'd be in a tussle with Liz F.

;)

Today's hits reveal sallyj is chasing him!
  • I started a blog almost as a way to push myself. Some (hopefully not misguided) faith that I will start getting short fiction published in professional zines (now I've got other aspects of my life sorted), which I can link to and perhaps get feedback in the comments. Also to publish the odd freebie on the blog. Put any other writing related thoughts down, link to other authors' work that I like...

But I'm not using it as a platform to sell anything. At least not yet. I started another thread asking if anyone had time to read a book I wrote and give their opinions on whether it was worth putting back on the market - but I'm laying that one to rest. I am working on a new novel but I've always planned to send that off to agents to get representation.
  • I got as far as a name on Wordpress and that was it. I am struggling with what to put in it and also the idea that anybody would care two figs about anything I might have to say. However, I do use other people's blog for information and have found them to be helpful and insightful. It is something I would like to challenge myself to do. The thing is I am just about coping with Twitter and I am too scared to post anything on there, so it doesn't bode well for me.
  • For those who'd like the interaction which comes from having a blog without actually blogging yourself, you can register with blogger and create a profile even without having a blog (you might be able to do the same thing with Wordpress) This allows you to comment as yourself, rather than anonymously and therefore build relationships with bloggers.
  • I don't have a Wordpress blog but have a profile with them.
  • A blog is good writing practice and of course, if you have many interests, you can share them. I used to have a blog when I was on a committee, but when I left I gave it up. However, I am now thinking of starting up another one on a forum that I am writing on. In other words if you love writing then they are a good idea.
  • For those who'd like the interaction which comes from having a blog without actually blogging yourself, you can register with blogger and create a profile even without having a blog (you might be able to do the same thing with Wordpress) This allows you to comment as yourself, rather than anonymously and therefore build relationships with bloggers.
    Good tip :) Commenting on other peoples' stuff is probably equally as good as a way of getting your name 'out there' .... and a whole lot easier to do too.
  • Oh, dear Ina!

I set my blog up in April two years ago to take part in a blog challenge - a blog a day for a month (except Sundays) on any subject, but each entry had to begin with successive letters of the alphabet.

I did mine on endangered animals, and have done it twice since, it was great fun.

I think the secret is to have something someone is interested in, and not just you.

Part of the deal of the above challenge is that you have to read 5 other blogs a day doing the same thing.

The most boring blogs were people advertising their book by doing successive letters on their book's character names and plot points etc - who cares? If the novel is good enough even, you wouldn't want to pick it apart after you read it, let alone before.

The best blogs were those that gave interesting info, had a sense of fun, even if it was only a tiny scrap a day, or offered something, and weren't obsessed by their own wonderfulness. Doesn't sound like you will be!

Also, just day to day happenings were interesting, ie a mum with a baby, an author who had sent something off and gave her feelings about it, and the next day talked about pens that went missing, or gave an opinion on an article from bookseller.

You can get online magazines like Bookseller free, and that often sparks ideas or opinion.

Tricks are:

Decide who you are speaking to and that focuses your content.

Make sure your entries are SHORT!!! And make sure the paragraphs are only 3-4 sentences at most - paragraphs, treat them differently on the internet, large blocks are tricky to read and offputting.

Use photos, always brightens something up, You can Google Flikr creative commons and use the first in the list, the attribution only photos, then all you have to do is give credit. Fab photos there.
  • I went to a talk at my local writer's group by a film critic/reviewer who was talking about blogging. He said it was a great way to get known. I keep meaning to get around to having a look at the various sites. He mentioned Blogger as being quite good. Another thing on my to do list. (sighs)
  • I've started a blog on Wordpress partly coz publisher said I should have one partly coz I wanted to write some bits and pieces that wouldn't fit into anything I was writing - out takes maybe?? First few efforts were more or less promotional but today finished one about kindles versus books and made myself laugh which was fun - I might enjoy blogging - very free way of writing when you are locked into a disciplined regime like I am just now!!
  • I,ve just entered the world of blogging and if anyone has advice I'm listening
  • how do I know who to follow?
  • If you have friends who blog you can follow them.

If you find someone you're interested in, you'll probably see a list of blogs they're interested in and may find blogs you're interested in, and they'll have a list and so on.

Just look at those links, or ask people you know for recommendations.

Have a look at our blog updates post too. :)
  • You can also use Google Blog Search. (You might have known they would be in on the act too!)
    http://www.google.co.uk/blogsearch

Other blog search engines are available!