Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Black, Asian and Other Minority Ethnic Guest Article Writers

edited July 2014 in Writing
Hello,

I'm new here, so hope this type of post is OK!

I run a website: www.fadetoblackuk.com, which explores the waning British Film Industry and why it doesn't nurture the talents of its Black actors who are often typecast and forced to look elsewhere for more varied work, particularly the USA.

We are looking for guest writers to submit articles that relate to the subject - ideally around 700 - 1000 words in length. These could focus on Diversity within the industry or even personal views on stereotypes and representation, the subject it very broad!

We'd love to hear from anyone who is interested in collaborating and accept submissions from people of all different ethnicities and backgrounds as long as the content is relevant.

On another note, I am working on a short children's book, so I'll definitely be seeking advice and constructive criticism on that while I'm here.

Look forward to hearing from you all,

Michael

Comments

• I can't help with an article, Michael, but I can help in welcoming you to TB. Hope we get to hear more about your writing. :)
  • LizLiz
    edited July 2014
    Hello, Michael. Welcome.

'Fraid I'm middle-aged white, and extremely well-represented generically. No-one of course could hope to capture me in actuality in any medium.
  • Hello, Michael.

Not my area either, but I suggest you contact the WM editor with the details as it could reach a wider audience that way, and you may get the sort of work you're looking for. :)
  • Hi Micheal.

Can't help with the article either, but neither do I see any problem with you mentioning it. Carol's suggestion is good (they often are)
    No-one of course could hope to capture me in actuality in any medium.
    No, but there'd be no trouble casting best supporting dog.

• Hi Michael and welcome to TB.
    I'm white too, though I fostered black children back in my youth, but I doubt that counts.
    My first husband's second wife was a Jamaican-born actress who might be able to contribute something. PM me if you want contact details.
  • Hi Michael, welcome to TB. Interesting website. With regard to the comment that Black actors going to Hollywood had to adopt American accents - that happens to all British actors, I think. Americans are frequently very parochial; and they will tell you that their audiences can't understand British accents (although if they want a real nasty baddie, they will make an exception, and no-one has any trouble understanding them).
    Good luck with the children's book!
  • American actors can't do British accents except dreadful Cockney, even worse Irish, and 1950s BBC posh. and a Brit accent nowadays, like Mrs Bear says, is the modern equivalent of a black stetson.
  • It's good to meet you Michael - welcome
  • Thanks for the welcome everyone, I can already see that this will be a great place for support and advice!

@Mrs Bear - I understand that most British actors, whatever their background will have to adopt American accents if working in the US, as many castings are for American characters, but I was referring more directly to the lack of representation of Black Britons. For example, look at actors like Pierce Brosnan, Daniel Craig, Jason Statham & Jude Law (to name a few) - now think about how many black British actors have portrayed Englishmen in Hollywood productions... Thinking back to a recent film; Rise of The Planet of The Apes (2011), David Oyelowo did play a Brit, albeit "a real nasty baddie" (you hit the nail on the head there).

• Hollywood still seems to focus on cliches and stereotypes, so male Brits have to be posh and white, or a baddy and white and women have to be posh and white, or ditzy and white. Even then they're not always played by Brits.
  • Americans are frequently very parochial; and they will tell you that their audiences can't understand British accents
    There's truth in this. My ex-fiance was from Florida, and she couldn't seem to understand my family most the time. She actually said, "Ya'll tark funny." Indeed :) Fair enough, though, we are Black Country, but we don't speak with the dialect to the extent many round here do... I've actually been told I sound posh, which I really don't think is true! But it's all relative ;)

Welcome, Michael, and I hope you find your contributors and help with your book.