Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Cover puffs and how to bag a good one

edited September 2014 in Writing
Just unpublished Oy Yew from kindle, 5 paperbacks left on Amazon. Had to be done to get ready for trade publication in April. My publisher is looking for a 'name' to do a review for the cover.

Have you ever asked a well known person for a review and what was the response? I remember approaching Bob Flowerdew to review Tree Talk; he said he didn't have time. I'd love someone quirky for Oy Yew - Helena Bonham Carter would be good. Does anyone know her cousin's friend's sister?
Tagged:

Comments

• Could you contact her on Twitter, or via her agent?
  • Would the publisher have 'contacts'?

How about someone from the Dahl family?

• Didn't Malcolm Welshman get one or two 'names' for his vet book? He hasn't been posting on talkback for a little while, but you could probably find him easily enough to ask how he achieved it.
  • He's on Twitter and Facebook most days:

https://www.facebook.com/malcolm.welshman.7?fref=ts

I think he's at the Porlock Lit Fest this weekend.
  • Yes, he is Baggy.
  • What about someone local to Bristol, Ana? Or WSM - David Walliams was brought up there, wasn't he, and writes for the same age range and is quirky?

• oh - and you can tweet straight to people and ask them stuff, how i got Chris Packham to agree to read poems...
  • Thanks for the ideas everyone. Can't imagine any of these people having time or inclination but nothing ventured...
  • edited September 2014
    I would definitely encourage you to give it a go. Used to do it several years ago with some careers books I wrote. Some replied and said 'sorry but no' but plenty of people (some of whom were quite famous and busy people) said they'd be willing to and turned out to be really helpful. I did get one or two quite rude replies too (no names, no pack drill!) but on the whole the response was really positive.
  • Thanks Mark. I like my original cover quotes from Baggy and pbw. If they could acquire some international notoriety that would work.

Malcolm Welshman tells me he got his quotes by networking.
  • *ponders a compromising photo with George Clooney*

Sorry.

Tony Robinson keeps springing to mind - for the quote, not the photo.
  • Send out a few copies of the book with a nice letter. You have nothing to lose but cash and your dignity! Seriously - good luck and give it a go. Try David Walliams.