Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Publishing in the UK with a foreign name

edited November 2014 in - Writing Problems
Hi All,

I've just started working on my first novel and I have a good few months until getting to a publisher but I have a question in my head that doesn't let me rest.
I'm Hungarian and I live in the UK. My name doesn't sound British at all, you wouldn't even guess what kind of name it is. I have the impression that British people prefer British things as opposed to anything foreign.
Do you think publishing my novel with an English pen name, instead of my real name, would possible increase my sales?

Thanks for the advice.
Balazs

Comments

• edited November 2014
    I wouldn't worry about it at this stage, you have to write the first draft, then revise it, before you're anywhere near ready to sending it to a publisher.

Very few writers are lucky enough to get their first novel published, and if you were in this fortunate situation, I'm sure the publisher would tell you if they thought you needed a pen name because your own is difficult to pronounce- for example.

Good luck with the writing. :)
  • I agree with Carol - but if you plan to set up a blog or something then it would make sense to use the name you'll have on the books before you've finished writing.

I think it depends on what you're writing. If it's a book about British people set in Britain then a British looking name might be best. On the other hand it it's set in Hungary a Hungarian name would work well. Very literary works, Sci-fi or fantasy might be helped by a 'foreign' looking name too.

Also depends on what your name actually is. Balazs wouldn't worry me at all as I could have a stab at saying that, but a long name with few vowels would be more daunting.
  • I think it adds to the interest of the book to have someone with a name that it is hard to guess how it is pronounced. For one thing, probably completely erroneously, I presume someone with a name that i can't even guess at is an intellectual.
  • But you ask for it in a shop, Liz? I know a lot of people would be put off from doing that if they had no clue how to pronounce the name.
  • In this Internet-centric world I can see it could cause problems if potential readers couldn't search for your name because they didn't know how to spell it. People have difficulty spelling Hempshell lol, how hard can it be!

But as Carol says I would advise you to get in written first, find a publisher and worry about the rest later. Good luck!
  • But you ask for it in a shop, Liz? I know a lot of people would be put off from doing that if they had no clue how to pronounce the name.
    They can write it. And look for it under the initial on the shelf (that's what you do anyway, isn't it?). And also, once you are known, people get to know how to say the name.

It doesn't seem to have harmed the sales of Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, Chinua Achebe, Isabel Allende, Mary Balogh, Jorge Luis Borges, Meg Cabot, Paulo Coelho and I could go on and on...
  • Thank guys,
    Good points made in all the comments, some of which I didn't even think of.
    I would actually prefer using my own name, especially because I indeed plan to set up a blog and write short stories as well, whilst I'm working on the novel. Perhaps I would just use my name as B. Tudlik instead of Balazs Tudlik. That seems a bit easier.
  • edited November 2014
    WOW! Mary Balogh. That's a Hungarian name :)
  • Should also point out that I was pronouncing some of the above incorrectly... 'Cabot' rhymes with 'habit' apparently. And Paulo Coelho? POW-loo KWEH-lyoo.
  • I think Balazs Tudlik is a great name and easy enough to have a go at pronouncing. I can't see that it would be a problem.
  • I agree with Heather. It wouldn't put me off.
  • I'm glad to hear that. Perhaps I created myself a problem to think about that hadn't existed before.
  • WOW! Mary Balogh. That's a Hungarian name :)
    She's an American romance writer.

• She's actually British. But her surname is Hungarian. BTW, I didn't know her before as I'm not really into romance novels. It's just feels good to know that you can be successful no matter what your name is.
  • I'm going in to Waterstone's on Saturday just to bandy about the name Paolo Coelho. I can't stop saying it now I know how, and it's wonderful in the mouth.
  • Balazs, that's not unpronounceable - it's a simple name that wouldn't cause anyone any trouble. Now go and write the book and stop worrying!
  • Thanks, Mr Bear :)
    I'm done with the plot and working on the characters now. I have a day job which holds me back quite a bit but I still enjoy the process.
  • I think Balazs Tudlik is a great name and easy enough to have a go at pronouncing. I can't see that it would be a problem.
    Absolutely agree - it's unusual and memorable (to non-Hungarians). Go for it.
  • That name wouldn't be an issue for me as a reader, either.