Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

In regards to vanity publishers

13»

Comments

• Congratulations, happy! Sounds like it was a fab evening.
  • The Finals!!! Wow!!! Well done, happy author.
  • Well done, HA.
  • Congratulations, happy! Sounds like it was a fab evening.
    If anyone is interested here is the news footage?

Yes that is me taking a peak over Freddy's shoulder at the results.
  • Great stuff HA, though I didn't know you doubled as the Invisible Man.
  • edited November 2016

If you 'quote' the post you will see the video's address. Then copy and paste it.
  • edited November 2016
    Doh
  • edited November 2016
  • It does not let me paste the Link???
  • www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0fCuNbY-ns
  • Seems the problem is with the htttps:
  • As an extra side note/question, the book in question is sci-fantasy and is 30k words long. Is that too short for a novel? I've seen that some publishers have a 100k minimum for science fiction / fantasy.
    Hello TIR!

Can you give us a brief synopsis?

:D
  • edited March 2017
    30k words IS a synopsis!!
  • An average children's book for 9-11 year olds is 35k. So, yes, i'd say that was FAR TOO SHORT.
  • Although 100K seems rather long - 80k upwards is a novel, surely?
  • Correct, Lizy. But for a reason I haven't established, sci-fi is happy to publish 100k plus, whereas most other genres hover around the 70 to 90k mark.
  • That's easy. Sci fi is the hardest genre to write and get right. We tried it on the MA I did.

You have to create an entire world. It might be another world in which case the whole thing will have to be described along the way of the narrative, and every single thing will be skewed a little or a lot and it all has to be scientifically in line with the size, gravity, building and building materials, lack of or excess of water, number of moons, metals and other elements available, beings of that world and their beliefs, and scientific advancement. This makes more words.

Even an Earth subtly or not subtly changed by a war/catastrophe, invasion, advancement of 500 years has to be described.

That's why.
  • Yep, it's often badly written and badly imagined with no real structure. Current job describes something as being A4 in size. Hmm.
  • That's easy. Sci fi is the hardest genre to write and get right. We tried it on the MA I did. . . That's why.
    Yep, got ya. I once started Asimov, but couldn't get into it. Terry Pratchett's 'Discworld' might be recognised as one of the biggest 'worlds'. I might try to muster the patience to try one of those.

• Try I Robot.
  • Terry Pratchett's Discworld is a work of genius. His books are great.