Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Multiple blogs

edited January 2015 in Writing
Hi All,

I've made my own self hosted website based on wordpress. The idea would be that I also have a wordpress.com and a tumblr blog, purely to attract more readers and they would ideally be directed to my primary website.
The wordpress plugin Jetpack has the feature of autoposting my entries to both platforms where all the users can see them. As far as I'm aware Tumblr actually prompts readers to follow randomly picked blogs which seems like an opportunity that must not be missed.

Does anyone has similar experience, opinion?

Thanks,
Balazs
Tagged:

Comments

• You may find your wordpress and blogger blogs getting shut down if you are using it as a method to get readers to your main site.

Some writers have had problems recently because of 3rd party issues. You'd need to check the t&c's of both blogger sites to ensure you didn't infringe their terms.
  • Thanks for pointing that out. I haven't thought of that and I'll read their t&c's but I think I'll take the risk. I don't think they could do anything to me other than shutting down my blog but until then I think these blogger sites, Tumblr especially, can potentially drive large traffic to my main site. I don't really know how Tumblr works so I've just read about it. It says my posts may be reblogged. I think it would be a too good opportunity to miss.
  • Good luck with it.
  • I have loads of websites, I tried lots to see which i preferred in terms of user friendliness and number of features etc.

Of the ones I like I have set one up as a blog which has my details on to let schools book me etc and it also directs people to my main sites, my website and blog, and it has not been taken down.

BUT I don't post on it regularly and you have to do that to keep the bots interested in your site so I suspect it isn't much use. Certainly it doesn't come up in a search for my name on the first page like the others do.
  • Well, I think if my main site comes up in Google that's perfectly enough. The point of having a wordpress.com and a tumblr blog would be that users of these sites may see my posts in their feeds and that would point them to my main site.
  • People will only see your posts in their news feed if the follow you, won't they? If that's the case then the effort you put into getting people to look at your blogs could instead be used to persuade them to visit the website directly, rather than hoping they'll go on to find it.

• That's right but Tumblr randomly recommends blogs to follow and any one can reblog my posts which every one following that person will see. It's like sharing a Facebook post or a retweeting something on Twitter. This is where I can see the advantage.
  • Ah. I see.

I think ...
  • I can understand the theory of spreading yourself over various blogs, but I don't understand how you will attract readers to them. I tweet a link to my book review site every evening. That brings a good amount of traffic. It would be daft to have several sites - because it would dilute the figures.

I use LinkedIn in a similar way to Twitter, but ultimately I want all the hits in one basket, so to speak.
  • I think I can potentially reach a large audience on Tumblr fairly easily, so why not? Of course, the ideal would be if they all ended up on my main site, and that's the plan, but if they read my blog on Tumblr that's still much better than if they don't read it at all.
    I think if I only have a self hosted blog which just blends in with millions of others in Google search, it would be quite difficult to find me.
    Tumblr is partly a social network and I've just read an article where the bloke posted a diagram showing that his Tumblr blog drove more traffic to his site than his tweets on twitter.
  • What is your website called, Balazs?
  • balazstudlik.com
    no content yet as I've just finished it and it took me a while to find out how exactly wordpress works.
  • I think if I stumbled across a blog that was mainly designed to get me to follow another blog (even if both were written by the same person), I would just give up on it. It seems a bit pointless having two or more blogs pumping out more or less the same thing, but that's only my opinion of course.

I can't say I've ever clicked on a link to a 'randomly selected' blog, either. Life's too short! If I go to a blog I've never visited before it's usually because I'm searching for something specific or somebody I trust has recommended it.

I can understand a blog driving web traffic but I can't see why having the same blog on different platforms is necessary. It's not like people who use WordPress don't read Tumblr blogs, or vice versa.
  • Good points, danfango.
  • I mean your main website that you are driving traffic to with the blogs.
  • Yep, that's my main website. Also a blog.
  • I finally dropped the idea of having multiple blogs as it seemed to be too much work.
    I've finished my site though and I'd be grateful for some feedback.
    http://balazstudlik.com/
  • I had a read yesterday, Balazs - and left a comment.
  • I've seen that, thank you. I also took note of your services which I might use sometimes.
  • *hopes I didn't post comment as Loose Lily*

• Looks great! I think you made the right decision - stick to one thing and do it well, as they say!