Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

#writingchat

edited February 2015 in - Resources
I was talking to someone about twitter and how there seem to be lots of 'buy my book' tweets and we seem the same (probably scheduled) comments over and over but there's not much real interaction. We're trying an experiment to help change that.

If you'd like to join us, please do - just start your own conversations or join ours, using the hashtag #writingchat tonight at 8.

Comments

• That sounds like a great idea - unfortunately evenings aren't good for me, but they probably work better for some people (like those with jobs!! ) :)

Good luck with it.
  • You're right, Patsy. People don't want to chat. They just favourite (or ignore) a response then keep on plugging. I've had a few new followers this week, so made an effort to open up a dialogue with them. One replied, then just favourited my next response. I don't go on Twitter much now. It's so repetitive.
  • I should be able to take part next Wednesday, but will be at the writers' club tonight, otherwise I would have joined in.
  • I will try - I already spend too much time on Twitter so a little more won't hurt.

It took weeks to get #dorsethour off the ground, but now it's a very interactive group of people, so these things do need a commitment to work.

Best not talk about #buckshour - suffice to say they weren't ready for me. Or TN.
  • This is intended as a kind of writer's version of #doresthour, Helen.
  • Yes, it'll be interesting. I will try and behave.
  • Don't try too hard - I'd hate you to hurt yourself.
  • Titter is a mystery to me, mostly.
  • If I'm on TB at 8pm tonight, someone remind me to move stations!

'Titter', sm?
  • edited February 2015
    If I'm on TB at 8pm tonight, someone remind me to move stations!

'Titter', sm?
    Twitter - Freudian slip,

:\">
  • I'll find you! ...
  • I will probably find you on Facebook... either way, we'll find you.
  • That was fun! Thanks, PM. Met some strange people, but I felt at home.
  • Exhausting...
  • You need to toughen up. I have #purbeckhour tomorrow night.
  • You get about.
  • I am a Twitter tart.
  • You don't need to tell me.
  • So how did it go? :)
  • Thank you to everyone took part. Amazing response for a first attempt.
  • It seemed 'busy'!
  • Remind me next week and I'll join in. :)
  • I'm only just getting started with Twitter.

It's all a bit confusing. I really am becoming more technophobic the older I get.

I used to take the p**s out of my Dad when he constantly asked me to set the timer on the video; what goes around comes around eh! :)
  • I found it all a bit much. I don't use twitter that much and trying to follow what was being tweeted to whom and in response to what, while accessing it on my new phone, which was bleeping like R2D2 at an orgy, was not at all easy. I may just stick to fora.
  • I've got the podcast on in the background (it's quite long - over half an hour). Patsy just got a mention, plus a few others... oh, he just quoted me.

https://joinedupwritingpodcast.wordpress.com/2015/02/04/joined-up-writing-episode-5-hand-writing-vs-typing/
  • It was all a bit frantic, CC. We hadn't expected anything like that response.

I don't really understand about podcasts ...
  • It's like a radio show. You just click on it and listen to the writing chat. (Make sure your speaker's on!)
  • 24 mins in is most relevant.
  • Followed a writer who followed me first.

Just got this DM (a command?):
    'Like my author page and I will return the favor[sic.].'

Is this a type of blackmail? Would you oblige?
  • No, unless I really liked the page.
  • No, I'd immediately unfollow them.
  • They're automated responses to being 'liked'. I ignore them. I've been followed by several 'chatters' after last night. My tweet about writhing and not writing seemed the most popular and was re-tweeted the most. Might set up a 'writhing hour'.

• I couldn't keep up the writingchat for an hour, as for the writhing hour...
  • No, TN I wouldn't 'like' that person's page. It's one thing to make someone aware of your page, quite another to demand you take notice of it.
  • No, I'm not going to like it! *stamps foot*

Yes, I picked up several followers, too, last night. I've had loads of Twitter notifications today about favourites and retweets. I've even found that confusing!

It does go to prove how powerful social media is in connecting with others and sending messages about 'writhing' across the globe.
  • We're doing #writingchat again next week and intend to have a theme to hopefully make it feel more like a conversation rather than lots of random comments. Not that I really expect people to stick to a theme, but the theory is good, I reckon.
  • A theme's a good idea to keep it contained.
  • I think so too. When I initially searched #writingchat, there was an awful lot of: Me! Me! Look at me and my blog etc.
  • Themes are useful.
  • Can't be doing with me meees and look at my blog types. Their as bad as 'buy my book' on twitter.

Here's me thinking this #writingchat was tonight! It's not Wednedsay today is it.

Will try to join in next week PM.
  • Tonight's topics are 'what do you write' and 'why do you write'?

To join in, just log in to twitter and use the hashtag #writingchat (Please remember, this is a discussion, not a sales pitch.)
  • What time does it start?
  • 8 this evening.
  • Great I'll be there. :)
  • So... what makes you writhe? I'll be there, PM!
  • *shakes head at Baggy*
  • Baggy... :\">
  • Exhausting!

Can't we do 'pass the shell before you're allowed to speak'?