Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Overwhelmed by feedback

edited February 2015 in Writing
Whew!
I've posted my first short story in a writing forum for feedback. I'm totally overwhelmed by how much more I have to learn! I don't know why I'm surprised, I kind of knew that but there are so many different aspects to examine a story from. Maybe what I find a bit disappointing is that I still have to improve my English a LOT. Sometimes I manage to compose sentences that are said they don't make any sense. Like this last one, I'm not sure if it's right. I find it strange as they make perfect sense to me :D
Sorry, if it's irrelevant, it just feels good to share it with people who actually understand what I'm talking about.

Comments

• edited February 2015
    English is a very difficult language, especially with all its idioms. I have to say that yours is very good, but there is the odd occasion when it isn't quite right - as in the sentence you pointed out above!

That is absolutely not a criticism - I wish I had your language skills - but things like that will stick out in written work. I can only suggest that you get your work read by a native English speaker before sending it out and read, read, read as much as you can. (I'm sure you do the latter anyway!)

Well done for braving the world of online critiques!
  • Your English is good - much better than that of many people for whom it is their first language. There's more for you to learn, but I expect that's true for many of us here, so yes, we can understand.
    Somse.
    I see what you're trying to say, so it makes some kind of sense. It's a very good sign you recognise it's not quite right as it means you can ask for help.

I'd have written something like - "Sometimes I manage to compose sentences which I'm told don't make any sense." Or "Sometimes I manage to compose sentences that are said not to make any sense."

There are usually several ways to say the same thing - which can be a good thing, but must be very frustrating to anyone learning.
  • It's so funny that both examples you wrote came to my mind but for some reason I wasn't sure if they were right so I picked the third one which was the only wrong. So silly :D
  • You recognise that there are a few issues, which is good, because you can start to do something about it.
  • I think, Balazs, that as your linguistic skills are so highly developed, you will be able to take conscious note where mistakes are pointed out and put that to good use in future writing. Writing develops, whoever you are.

The more you communicate with English speakers in both the written form and orally, the more aware you will also become of subtleties, too.

I have to say, you write a darn sight better than lots of 'natives', probably because you're better versed in the structure of the language which isn't really taught as well here - so don't be hard on yourself.

You have plenty of potential to reach greater heights; as time passes, even we English writers continue to improve, so you're not on your own.

I'm sure many of us would be more than happy to help you with any sentences or phrases which don't quite 'sound right'. You're in the right place!
  • What the others said, Balazs. :)
  • It's daunting and inspiring in the same breath. You know what work you need to do, but, oh my there is so much of it.

You are on the right path... (They keep telling me this too ;) and I only speak English.)
  • Come, come now Silverlinings. You are being too modest. What about the language of love?

Balazs, you're doing fine.

On average it takes 10 years of constant practise to get good at anything.
  • I stopped posting samples on forums ages ago, as I think I've said here before I found the response sometimes hostile and destructive, not really what you need as a fledgling writer. Sometimes you will get really good constructive feedback but in my experience there were too many opinions and sometimes you just have to trust your own prose. I'm very thick skinned now when it comes to criticism but not sure I could cope even now Balazs if my first language wasn't English - you're a braver man than me - some great encouragement on here and suggestions too - English is a bu**** of a language even for us Brits!!
  • 10 years. There's hope for me , yet.
  • Thanks for the encouraging word, guys :)