Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Don't forget to change your socks

edited March 2015 in - Writing Problems
Seeing as Mrs Bear is giving out good advice, I thought I'd match that although I can't match my socks as I have too many odd ones after every wash load

Comments

• Be an invidualist, dora.

If anyone comments on your odd socks. you can always say you have another pair just like that at home.
  • I often wear odd socks. Matching pairs is too much like hard work. Often one sock will die before the other, so why not mix and match?
  • Is it that time of year already!
  • My socks always match. Not each other neccesarily, but they always match something.
  • I like my socks to match what i'm wearing. I did think getting them all the same colour would help matching but curiously because each one shrunk at a different rate I still had to find the right lengths to go with each other and the right fadedness so that was even more irritating than finding the right colour socks. Sometimes I just don't bother.
  • One of my married sons can often be seen wearing completely different socks. He's a primary school teacher so I'm not sure what message, if any, that sends out to his young students. I'm far from having OCD but the odd sock thing does grate on my subconscious sense of order.
  • I have never knowingly worn odd socks.

*fans WM wildly in front of face to disperse the thought*

My socks always match my outfit and are arranged in colour order in one of two sock drawers :light socks and dark socks.
  • edited March 2015
    I have two drawers for socks - ordinary and walking. Most of the time I hover.

>:D<
  • In colour order...omg, how do you find time to write anything, Nell!
  • Odd socks, inside out socks, you name it - I've probably gone through every combination possible.
  • Is it ever warm enough in England for socks to show anyway?
  • Only under sandals in the summer.
  • Colours have an order? Scrutinises Nell's picture for evidence of a more evolved life form.
  • She's not more evolved - just seriously OCD.

It's a good job we love her anyway.

<3
  • But you score her less than 3?
  • Out of three? Full marks!
  • No, '<' means less than. There's no 'equal to' OR 'less than' on the sign. So less than 3, I'm afraid. Oh, deary me. I would definitely have given full marks.
  • Still distressed about the order of colours. Ordered by wavelength, popularity, frequency of occurrence in Shakespeare? What about patterned socks. Do I need to work out the areas exactly to find the dominant colour? Sits weeping in front of odd sock bag.
  • Omg, yes, what about black and white checks?

A lot of mine are black with coloured heels and tops. All colours.

Then of course there's the stripes. Rainbow stripes.

Do the whites go in order of greyness?

What am I saying. Nell doesn't have grey socks. Not that used to be white, anyhow.
  • edited March 2015
    No, '<' means less than. There's no 'equal to' OR 'less than' on the sign. So less than 3, I'm afraid. Oh, deary me. I would definitely have given full marks. </p>
    :O

Liz, you need to stop taking these things so seriously.

Today I'm wearing matching socks.

• edited March 2015
    < and 3 add up to a heart on FB - that's what I meant. <3

It doesn't work on TB but I didn't know that.

*dons dunce's cap*
  • Where did that extra bit come from?
    It doesn't show up if I go back to edit it out.
  • I might just take my socks off and start again.
  • I know, I know, I know. I knew it should be a heart. I know I am too literal. But that's my nature. I like things to be correct. Exacting. Perfect.
  • But you must spend so much time feeling disappointed.

I'm just sipping a cheeky Merlot. It's not perfect, but it does taste darned good.

• As long as you didn't filter it through a sock, Baggy, it should be fine.
  • Cheese AND wine?!
  • Now I am led to try and remember what IS that whiffy cheese called? The one laced with varicose veins?
  • I love novelty socks. I bought a book on making your socks into things e.g. puppets, phone holders, a desk tidy but I haven't done anything
    I don't have any old socks
  • I daren't tell you what I did the other week.

OK, I dare.

I photographed every jumper - in colour order*. That way, I can look at the pics on my phone and remind myself what's there before choosing. I did my shoes last year.

*white/cream/yellow/pink/peach/orange/red/purple/blue (light to navy)/brown/grey black.

This isn't always set in stone. Sometimes light grey goes next to white. You know how it is.
  • If you came to my house I think you'd have a nervous breakdown
  • TN, was that a late April Fool joke? Really?

:O
  • Uh, no.

*hangs head in deepest shame... then bends down to pick speck off the carpet*
  • I actually shook my head.
  • I actually pushed my chair a little way away from the screen
  • I actually (almost) stopped eating.
  • I'm actually outta here
  • Wow, TN.

You make my wife, who is nicknamed Monica after the OCD Friends character, look like Rab C Nesbitt.
  • Maybe it's time for me to change my ways.

I'll try some aversion therapy tomorrow and wear odd socks.

*is pleased to have got the topic back on track*
  • We will need proof. A photo would suffice.
  • I could fold under this pressure.

*considers staging a photo*
  • No, BB, that won't do. They're not all pointing the same way, and the two longest aren't next to each other.
    Get a grip, woman!
  • Almost symmetrical. Almost.
  • That photo was taken on Christmas Day a few years ago. Blame the arrangement on the second glass of sherry.
  • I was getting worried that you ironed your socks for a second then...
  • You mean you don't, Liz?
  • I was getting worried that you ironed your socks for a second then...
    Surely ironing them for a second would make no difference at all.