Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Proofreading/Editing

edited July 2015 in Writing
I'm offering proofreading through Fiverr, I will proofread 2000 words in 2 days or less for $5.
If it needs no revisions or I take longer than 48 hours you will be refunded.

Please check it out:
https://www.fiverr.com/hdempsey/proofread-and-edit-up-to-1500-words-in-2-days?context=collections&context_type=pre_defined_default_collection.ownership_true&funnel=f92e6d74-3c4f-4c72-9002-a0b87a0377c8

Comments

• Flagged.
  • I'm sorry, I'm a recent university graduate and finding a job is very difficult. I'm just trying to earn a little bit of money whilst speeding things up for writers. I know how difficult it can be to proofread when you have written the text, because you read what you know should be written there, not what actually is.
    I'm just trying to make ends meet whilst I'm looking for a job, but it is difficult to start a customer base. I apologise if my post broke any rules.
  • edited July 2015
    Thanks for the apology. I might be wrong but I think there are rules about joining this forum just to advertise. It doesn't go down well when posters fly in and out just to let us know they are in the writing business.

Message for Webbo - fYI: this person has PM'd me and said they didn't read any rules as they couldn't find any.

• Hello avidreader. Are you abroad? Because we are in the UK and we do not deal in dollars... good idea to check that in your next posts anywhere.

I'm not sure how to advise you - anywhere where you post like this it would be better to have a relationship with the people on the site first so they can see what you are like, see how well you write to judge how well you'd perform, and to get to know and trust you.

We have excellent proofreader members on the site already.

But if you'd like to join in, you may get help with ideas as to how to grow your business, it is a good thing that you are trying to do, just going about it in the wrong way.

• Can you make money proofreading? I was told by some online advice that you can't. I'm stuck in a part time retail job and my writing needs work so I was looking for something to get me a bit of extra money
  • edited July 2015
    Where did you get your advice from, Jen? As with most things in life,
    there is thems that can and thems that can't.

I think Liz has made a valid point in her comment - people need to know how well the proofreader will perform and be able to trust them before they will part with their hard earned and pay the proofreader.

Anyone can offer their services to proofread. Tbh I wouldn't trust them with my writing if they couldn't, for example, first search out rules before posting to forums like this or check what currency potential customers may want to pay in.

Surely being aware of small details like that are part and parcel of being a proofreader? Also being aware of the customer's requirements are just a small part of what makes the difference between a successful proofreader and those that are simply doing it for the cash.
  • edited July 2015
    It's possible to make money from proofreading - plenty of people do it as a job. You would need to be a proofreader though. I pay a proofreader (Helen Baggott) to proofread my books.

I wouldn't pay someone who just fancied having a go in the hope of making a bit of cash. Especially if that person was unable to differentiate between 'up to 1500 words' and '2000 words'. It's those kind of inconsistencies which I'd expect a proofreader to be able to spot.
  • JenJen
    edited July 2015
    It's possible to make money from proofreading - plenty of people do it as a job. You would need to be a proofreader though. I pay a proofreader (Helen Baggott) to proofread my books.

I wouldn't pay someone who just fancied having a go in the hope of making a bit of cash. Especially if that person was unable to differentiate between 'up to 1500 words' and '2000 words'. It's those kind of inconsistencies which I'd expect a proofreader to be able to spot.
    It was a job I looked into to get out of my stuck-in-the-mud retail job but I never knew if it would work and as usual it got sent to the back of my mind with all the other new-day-job ideas that never stay put :)

Although being a proofreader or being trained as one would help my own writing