Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Anybody lost cd drive after updating to Windows 10?

edited May 2016 in Writing
- and do you know any fixes? Have tried a couple of fixes from forums but they haven't worked.

Comments

• My W10 was pre-installed but I did have a lot of updates that needed doing a day later.

Is the cd drive on the computer- desktop or laptop? Or an external one that you plug in?
  • You may have to re-install the driver. We did that with speakers after I kept getting a 'Bing - speaker unplugged', 'Bing - speaker plugged in' message every 20 seconds!
  • On the desktop, Carol. Just realised printer not recognised either. I wish they'd warn you about these things. I would have stuck with 7.
  • You should be able to go to your printer manufacturer's website and reload all the drivers you need.

• This is what scares me about Windows10. I get messages every day asking if I'm ready to install it, and Hubby is pushing me to say yes while it's still free...
  • edited May 2016
    TN. Don't! We did at work. Been a nightmare at times, usually the most inconvenient ones.
  • From all the people who've upgraded and their pros and cons as a result, I would wait until you have to replace your computer.
  • Mr Bear has done it from Win 7 and it works well enough for him - and Dell said the laptop wasn't suitable.
    Had to have two goes at it, but the second go was after the infamous Nov 15 update, which may have fixed something. There are more updates in the pipeline.
    I installed it on my new PC which had Win 8.1 and it is fine once the few bugs have been sorted - the speaker one being the worst. It tells me that my printer is offline while it's actually printing, and online when I turn it off, but that's ignorable.
    It's probably easiest to buy a new computer that's ready to take it. At least then you've got come-back with the manufacturer if it doesn't work.
  • I do think that some makes of computer seem to cope with the upgrade better than others.

My previous Dell running W7 was borderline for the upgrade, but knowing its age I put it off.
  • I get that message every day too. It's quite a relief to be away ftom that for a while, even tho typing on a tablet is a pain in the bum!
  • I have a new laptop with windows 10. It seems to do a lot of things I don't need but I'm having even more trouble trying to get my book on kindle!
  • In what way, Goldstick?
  • Well the cd drive just walked back into my life with no explanation of where it had been or why. I don't get computers.
  • I updated from 8.1 to 10 a couple of weeks ago. I wish I hadn't because I lost a load of photos. Also, images are quite blurred and my quite new laptop no longer recognises my 10 year old printer with windows 10. Apparently, windows 10 has now been upgraded to 10.1 due to many problems as above, according to a very nice young man who worked in Curry's.
  • That explains the big update I had the day after I installed my new computer.
  • I heard a programme about the new Windows 10 on Radio 4 yesterday. (27th May) Worth downloading the podcast as there was lots of advice about it.
  • Do you know what the podcast was called, Betsie?
  • A bit of a computer expert told me this week that nothing is actually 'lost'. It's all there - somewhere. You just need to know where to look!
  • Windows 10 got downloaded onto OH's laptop yesterday. He didn't want it, so this morning when he turned it back on he's started the roll-back to Windows 8.1 version.
  • Windows 10 got downloaded onto OH's laptop yesterday. He didn't want it, so this morning when he turned it back on he's started the roll-back to Windows 8.1 version.
  • Sorry Carol, can't remember what it was called it was around lunchtime Radio 4 a few days ago (geriatric brains keeps letting me down)
  • OH's laptop didn't take Windows 10 and he was stuck in a half way position without either 8 or 10.

Uni son managed to get it to scan and repair the C drive, and once that was done it reinstalled Windows 8.

Not a good experience at all.
  • Sounds like I've been very lucky with my windows 10 experience. I bought this laptop last summer with 8.1 installed. I hated 8.1 after Vista - but then windows 10 went live a mere week or two later and it was a great relief because I found it much easier to navigate than 8.1. I don't use all the features, but I haven't had any noticeable problems since downloading it.
  • Claudia, it's probably because you had a newer laptop.

OH's laptop is four years old.
  • I think you're probably right, Carol. I bought it just before the windows 10 launch and was told that I'd get an early automatic update when 10 went live, which I did.
  • It was obviously built with the Windows 10 update in mind.
  • I updated my laptop to windows 10 and had to do a system recovery because my laptop is old and wasn't working right. I've done this before and it's left my software on it and my files but it's made it quicker.
    But this is windows 10! It deleted all my software and now I can't play dvds on my laptop as media player doesn't play them, at least one didn't work. I have a HP laptop and all the things that were installed (factory settings!) were uninstalled with this new windows 10.
    I said it would keep all my files and it did but it got rid of everything else. It's terrible all the other windows kept all my stuff and this one got rid of stuff installed by the manufacturer.
    It did say that it would uninstall apps but I didn't realise apps were software on my laptop, apps to me are applications on a phone or tablet not computer software.
    Microsoft messed up somewhere
  • It wants you to buy via their store.

I have downloaded VLC Media Player so I can play DVD's.
    As far as I heard you have to pay for Windows Media Player with 10. :(
  • Windows 10 pops up every bloody day now - clearly desperate for me and the OH to join their club.
    If we can possibly avoid it we will wait until we have to buy ner laptops - mine has Windows 8.1 which I hate but had to get used to as it came with the laptop. I don't fancy learning anything else new until I'm forced into it!
    What was that Betsie said abour geriatric brains?
  • Now I understand what you mean, it won't play dvds, a bit bad timing considering my boyfriend has got a new game and I can't watch anything
  • Lizy we sorted the W10 thing out on OH's laptop via the instructions on this site:

https://www.grc.com/never10.htm
  • - mine has Windows 8.1 which I hate but had to get used to as it came with the laptop. I don't fancy learning anything else new until I'm forced into it!
    What was that Betsie said abour geriatric brains?
    Lizy my new laptop had Windows 8.1 which I too hated. When I downloaded Windows10 I breathed a sigh of relief because it's much more in line with previous versions and therefore easier to negotiate.

• edited July 2016
    I think it must be better to have windows ten on a new laptop but there is so much I don't know how to use - apps are still a mystery. I can see the ones already on there but how do I change them for ones I want? I can find my photos but my phone won't put pictures on my laptop. At least I can still write and get onto Goodreads to find the folk who still want to read my new book. Also, I'm happy to be back here, especially as I am now writing short stories and entering competitions. A lesson for the Teacher is now on kindle as well as in paperback. I managed it!
  • For apps think programmes, goldstick.

When I set up my new desktop the first things I did was open Edge, went to Google and downloaded Chrome and Firefox browsers.

You can get them from the app store too- that's the thing that looks like a shopping bag with four squares cut out and is white. Some things are free, others cost money.

• I searched through the apps store but didn't see anything I wanted at present. I am busy marketing all my books at talks as I'm a coward about linking all the sites I am on.
    Amazon have new and old copies of all books and two of them are on kindle. Six novels is enough. It's short stories for me from now on.
  • Goldstick, have you tried looking for the driver download for your cd drive on the computer makers website?
  • edited October 2016
    We've just bought a new computer and printer. We were on Windows 7 before; no problems so far with 10. It's just taking a little time to get used to it.
  • Same for me when I replaced my laptop, Kado. I approach the new gizmos on a 'need to know basis' on windows 10 which means there's a great deal of unused gizmos!