Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Current TV Programmes

Comments

• I shall have to look that out, dora, have no idea what it is.
  • It's by/includes the League of Gentlemen writers and actors. It was all just perfect.
  • Love it or List it next week is in Long Eaton. Home of EWG!
  • Britain by Bike is an enjoyable programme.
  • edited May 2018
    Ooh! What channel? Any sign of SM?
  • I think it was Channel 5
  • I have been reminded todayby a friend League of Gentlemen starts again tonight
  • New Zealand ers are avid Coro fans but have got 18 months behind UK so they have just jumped to bring us up to date. We now have a programme with new people we don't know and the shacked up pairs have all changed around. Rather confusing.
    I just wish everyone didn't shout at everyone else all the time.
    Don't watch it myself, I'm still of the Ena Sharples school.
  • I think the old Coro was better, Pongo.

Stopped watching it now. It's boring, weary, obviously past its sell by.

• The soaps are all ridiculous, not entertaining in the least, haven't been for some time.
    'past its sell by' quite agree, dora.
  • Don't watch any serial soaps. Haven't for years... they went off some time ago, methinks. There's a limit to how many storylines in one setting I think without resorting to ridiculousness.

Humans tonight. Now there's something that has kept its interest, we watch every episode with baited breath.
  • I don't seem to watch any terrestrial TV any more. It's very rare that a programme will grab me. Spend hours trawling through Netflix. There's hardly anything there either!
  • Haven't watched any soaps for a long time.
  • I wish they'd get a better script writer and director for Midsomer Murders.
    And better actors - it's gone seriously down hill since John Nettles left.

Sometimes it's the only programme OH and I can agree on, but it's a poor compromise.
  • Humans is consistently brilliant. I love it.
  • Never watched Humans. Seen trailers. Seems pointless drivel.

Never watched Midsommer Murders. Never on when I am in but my sister insists it must be watched.

Wondering how one goes about not buying a licence anymore because I watch so little TV atm.
  • You reach a Certain Age, Dora, like my OH has done!
  • You have to not have and not watch live TV, dora and only watch on your computer on watch again. Daughter and b/f used to but now they have bought a license as they do watch TV more than they used to.

Humans is fantasy. Or science fiction really. But it has more questions in it out what is human and what humanity is and what morality is than any other programme I have ever watched. The questions come from all angles, it's not biased one way or the other. It is truly brilliantly written.
  • I have ju st watched summat

Well worth it even tho have seen it before

You can keep your hat on, you sexy thing
  • Picnic at Hanging Rock.

Superduper.

Not watched owt since.
  • Anne with an E is brilliant. The first series on Netflix was absolutely wonderful and she''s back. It's a lovely story.
  • Where are the 'Ever decreasing circles', 'Dads Army' ,Yes Minister', 'Open all hours'
    'Rising damp. These programmes were hilarious, clever, no crudity, so well acted.
    So where are the writers these days. However there will never be another set of actors like the ones in these. I am thankful to have experienced them all.
    I mentioned in a conversation last week about having been an 'evacuee' .
    The about 30 year old didn't know what an evacuee was.
    When I told her about 3 million children were taken from their families, and sent out of London for fear of anticipated bombing she just looked at me blankly.
  • They learn about that in school here, pongo. Maybe you learn about Australian history in your schools? Most countries are very insular, lacking in world view and world history as it applies personally to other nations; they probably learn about Australia's role in the last World War but not as it pertained to British schoolchildren.

There are a lot of excellent writers out there. Frasier was brilliant.

Rising damp was awful at the time and now is horrifyingly racist.
  • Open all hours is on one of the alternative channels
  • edited July 2018
    On Netflix and well worth a watch: Ozark, The Sinner, Safe...

Can't remember the others!
  • Doc Martin. I love Doc Martin. Back next week apparently. Somewhere or other. Just watching something with two female detectives and it's Scott and Bailey, and quite enjoying it.
  • Oh bumsy it's not complete in one episode. I don't like that.
  • I like Martin Clunes but have never seen this. Doesn't appeal, the snippets I have caught
  • It's official. I've loved Ben Chaplin right back to when he had his surf board in that flat.
  • Vera. Brilliant, but don't they ever have decent weather up there?
  • I really can't be bothered with TV these days. I only watch while I eat my meals - usually old reruns of Family Fortunes or Minder or something. The only channel I watch with any regularity is Talking Pictures TV, which shows old, usually black and white, movies and TV shows (Gideon's Way rocks!). Perhaps I yearn for an age when shallow idiots had no chance of achieving celeb-status and everything wasn't available on demand. Either way, I'd much rather watch a creaky old Edgar Wallace mystery than Strictly, Doctor Who or the abomination that is Big Brother.

• Doctor Who has gone back to its roots and is much better and less ponderous. Just watching Strictly with Pete on catch up and always LOVe it. Lola is cuddled up as she is tired out after yesterday and being very loving and cuddly. My eyes have been quite sore for a couple of weeks and someone in the car on the way said she knows someone who had to give up work because her eyes couldn't cope with the screen... today they are much better and of course yesterday I wasn't really on the computer much at all, so am thinking of watching more TV, doing less computer, and writing more on paper instead of straight onto the screen.
  • Everything seems so depressing on the TV, these days, even our lovely nature programmes nearly always portray the disgusting mess we've made on this planet.

Even out in space we've messed up. Every where we go...mess. 

• New series of Ben Fogle's New Lives in the Wild is good.
  • Loving the new series of Dr Who.
  • I enjoyed tonight's but it had some rather massive plot malfunctions... for instance if there was that much gas outside that it would catch fire where they were standing i can't see that they would be able to breathe, plus being one foot under a blanket of flames and not looking hot at all was a stretch... plenty of other points earlier that really did not hold up. I really like her as the Dr but her clothes make her look as if she has been dressed by New Look and don't let her stand out at all - something that all the other Doctors have. 

• Perhaps we should watch an episode, so i can join in the chat? We were away for fifteen years and are out of touch with series. 

I like Endeavour and Lewis, Vera, Foyle's War, and the nature and vet programmes. 
  • DeneBebbo said:
    New series of Ben Fogle's New Lives in the Wild is good.

Thank you, for that :)
  • Liz said:
    I enjoyed tonight's but it had some rather massive plot malfunctions... for instance if there was that much gas outside that it would catch fire where they were standing i can't see that they would be able to breathe, plus being one foot under a blanket of flames and not looking hot at all was a stretch... plenty of other points earlier that really did not hold up. I really like her as the Dr but her clothes make her look as if she has been dressed by New Look and don't let her stand out at all - something that all the other Doctors have. 

The first episode had a ridiculous scene where the Doctor falls from the sky and through the roof of a train and is unharmed. There's suspension of belief and taking the p**s even in a SF/Fantasy TV show.
  • I agree. 
  • The new Dr Who has its moments, but I'm left thinking well that's x minutes I won't get back...
  • That's how I feel about most things on TV. I usually only watch when I don't feel like concentrating hard enough to read.
  • Currently watch "If you don't pay we'll take it away".
    Better than soaps.    
    People have a very defensive attitude these days.  When they open a door they immediately lie about who they are or who lives at that address. 
    Is it fear of the unknown or guilt of their lives. 
    It's like half the country lives in fear of the other half.
    Many owe money to other people but seem to accept no responsibility for it.
    Think the world owes them a living.   Afraid it has always been that one had to work for ones living.    Yes, some born with the silver spoon. Lucky them. 
    Doesn't always guarantee happiness either..
  • C2 said:

Everything seems so depressing on the TV, these days, even our lovely nature programmes nearly always portray the disgusting mess we've made on this planet.

Even out in space we've messed up. Every where we go...mess. 

Yep.  It's a shit old world that's for sure.

Saying that, I am liking the new doctor who.  I've never really liked dr who at all but this one appeals.

Also been watching re-runs of Scott and Bailey.   Would love that prog to be brought back again.  Brill.
  • Is anyone watching 'Beat the Chasers'?

i thought tonight's programme was hilarious, after they'd been so horrid to a lady called Jane.
  • I watched Inside No 9 this week.  Haven't seen it for a while but still love just how clever the writing is.

Also, wish I'd seen Motherland from the beginning.  Tickles me that does.
  • Don is watching a black and white film called Dunkirk.
  • Looking at this thread, seems to be mainly me what telly box watches.

Anyone watching Time on BBC1 with Sean Bean?
  • I like that film, Lizy. 
    I tend to watch DVDs, Dora. 
  • I watch a lot of telly Dora.
    I am watching Time and think it is very good, but sad.