Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Current TV Programmes

Comments

• If you haven't seen it and have Netflix, go for Call My Agent ( Dix pour cent in French) It has subtitles, but is easily the best thng we've seen in two years. 
  • Statues War

Some good photography of Bristol.  Didn't realise how massive the plaee is.
  • Watched that one, Dora. David Olusoga's programmes are always worth watching. 
  • Yeah.  And that mayor is an interesting bloke.

Just now, more dream tv for me ... REM. 
  • Love David Olusoga. 

Bristol is a medium-sized city! We are lucky in that we live 6 miles south of it which means it only takes 20 mins to get into the centre. If you live in the north it's harder, as there are more suburbs that way - to the south it's green belt. It's also a very green city. Don't really want to live inside it but may have to at some point.
  • Michael Ball in Wonderful Wales.

I've been on that steam train from Porthmadog.  

Really like MIchael Ball.  Always smiling.
  • Forgot it was on, Dora. :( He's very good on the radio. :)
  • edited July 2021
    I stopped work to watch Tipping Point.  Had to switch it off and go back to work.

Too painful to watch somebody agonize over a question about 'what's that sweet syrupy stuff bees collect from flowers?'

And another question 'who wrote IT?'
  • Im working my way through Silent Witness.
  • Love Silent Witness. 
  • Thought Strictly last night was fab. I know it's not everyone's cup of tea but I love the music, the dancing, the frocks. Good mental health telly for me.
  • I also enjoyed it - although I was flagging for a couple of dances until I got my second wind. Apparently Tom and Amy have Covid and are now out for at least next week. 
  • I saw that. Honestly, we can't have five minutes off from it, can we?
  • Nope. Seems not. 
  • Just binge watched both series of 'Manhunt' thought Martin Clunes was brilliant.

Back to Silent witness.
  • Neph said:
    Just binge watched both series of 'Manhunt' thought Martin Clunes was brilliant.

I did the same at the weekend. Yes Martin Clunes was brilliant. I was put off watching it when it was on tv as I was used to seeing him as more of a comedy actor. As it was getting great reviews I decided to give it a go. So glad I did.
  • I thought he was just fabulous - you'd never guess it was the same guy!  
  • I haven't watched anything for a while.  Last thing I watched was The Responder.
  • I don't seem to be able to cope with dramatic fiction atm, so I'm watching mostly documentaries.
  • Ditto. Anything with trauma or tension doesn't appeal. It hasn't for a long time.
  • Agree with that. 

I don't watch Call the Midwife either. I don't need even small reminders of my own maternity traumas.

The news is bad enough.
  • I've always been interested in the natural world. In my humble opinion when it comes to environmental matters, and taking into consideration (environment) this is something thrust upon the public in general in a mediocre way, the many know nothing about. Why are we not seeing more programmes relating to the symbiotic phenomena above and below ground, which is essential to life. All very scientific, I know. Even within our 'Natural Recourses'  aforrestation is something we should be made aware of. 
    I stress... only for human... PROFIT... once again is the name of the game :(

• Think I shd stop paying for TV licence.  It's never on in our house these days. Except when my sister visits then its Doctors and Emmerdale. I've even gone off Tipping Point and that was way before the new format was introduced.

Maybe if another lockdown comes along it'll be used more. 
  • When I was about six years of age I went with Mum to her place of work during school hols. 
        'Sit here, Patricia,' said her boss. Okay. Before me, switched on, was a new invention known as the telly. Mum and boss went away leaving me for two hours with a vision of the Test Card which in those days represented grey fog divided horizontally and vertically with fine white lines!? There were no afternoon transmissions then!? 
  • I hope you had a book?
  • edited April 2022
    Mum and Dad bought a telly, eventually. Laramie and Going for a Song were the only programmes I liked.
  • Who need a telly now Peaky Blinders is finished?

• I never watched PBs, but I did see the documentary about the 'real' PBs. Fascinating.
  • Watched a few episodes of earlier PBs but not seen it for a while. 

Am pleased to see Inside No 9 is coming back. 

Watched In For A Penny today.   Had me in fits that programme. 
  • I can recall lots of programmes I watched as a child - the BBC ones - Andy Pandy, the Woodentops and Spotty the dog, etc, and circuses, the News... when I was at friends' they watched something called Twizzle which was a boy whose arms grew. I wasn't allowed to watch ITV. Also recall Watch with Mother's other programmes and the early through the window programmes and that thing with the cat, The Magic Roundabout, the ship cartoon, and Tony Hart's art programmes, my favourite and Roobarb and Custard.  I vividly recall being taken to my dad's work partner's house in Shaftesbury, up a winding hill with trees, and being left for the evening while they all went to dinner with John Coleman.  He had a colour TV and we watched Top of the Pops and it was wonderful. I was also left a pile of Agatha Christie books and by the time they came back I was scared rigid but hooked - he gave me all the pile of books and made me a fan. 

When I was first married Pete and I made a film in Bristol, a fairy tale, which we sold to the BBC and they showed in that 5 minute cartoon before the news time slot.
  • Wow! You've had quite an adventurous life.
  • LizLiz
    edited April 2022
    Well, I wouldn't go that far, Lizy, most of my life is sent in front of a computer and i have only ever visited France (once) and Canada (once). 

Current TV programmes wise, if Netflix counts, do try Resident Alien, The Good Doctor and I think I already said Call My Agent if you haven't already. Good Doctor might not appeal to all. Oh... we loved Reacher, too. 

• I loved the Good Doctor - it's been on Sky up to Series 4
  • Yes, it's on one of my free channels.
  • We were so hoping there would be more than one series - we have only watched up to series 2 programme 1! Hooray! 
  • Series 5 currently showing in US I think. Series 6 being filmed now.
  • Inside No 9.  So funny and clever.  A real treat those programmes are.
  • Anyone else watching Life After Life? Clever and intriguing concept.
  • I've read the book, which I loved, but haven't started the TV prog yet.
  • I started the book, and confused myself so I thought I would watch the TV series, but because of the gap between episodes I had forgotten everything from the first one so confused myself again.
  • What is it about?
  • It is about a life relived over and over with different decisions made at various points which change each life story.
    I loved Kate Atkinson until I read one of her books which made me so cross and was so patronising that I haven't been able to bring myself to read another one since. Won't say anymore because of spoilers!
  • Oh! i like Kate Atkinson! How irritating for you! Oh flipping heck - which one? Now you mention the storyline i think we have seen it and I decided it didn't sound like something i could cope with - but if the outcomes are different - (the description did not mention that). 

Last night we noticed that the English version of Call My agent is no up on Netflix, Ten Per Cent, so started watching that. It is not as charming as the French version but it wasn't bad. I tHINK they have started later in the story though which is weird. But maybe our memories are faulty. 
  • Watched a programme called Rosie because Grace wasn't on for some reason.

Awful situation to be in with children.
  • Grace is on this Sunday. I'll be honest I've enjoyed the show more than the books, although that might be due to listening to them in quick succession  and finding them quite repetitive.  I've just binged We hunt together. Really enjoyed it.
  • Sherwood.

Is worrying that the train at Newstead had recently been attacked in a similar way as was shown in this programme.
  • Currently watching rich kid skint holiday.  A family of four have taken a rich young man to share their caravan in Brid.  His dad pays for everything for him. How the other half live. 
  • Finished watching the Dublin Murders on BBC1 catch-up last night. I have two burning questions which didn't seem to be answered... Anyone watched it?
  • I think I watched it a long time ago but wouldn't have sufficient recollection to help! All of the police/crime/thriller type series on TV merge into one in my brain after a while. Same with books!