Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Relating to?

edited June 2016 in Writing
Just posing a question. Been on some blogs tonight, and reading some young people's thoughts, who have expressed a liking for my own posts.

Thinking, okay, I write, prose and dialogue in film scripts, but I've always felt an affinity more so with lyricists. Trying to think why, maybe that I get inspiration from images, mostly 'beautiful sights', whether direct images or ones conjured up by words, which is why I connect so well with lyricists, in my mind. Their visual presentations that go with their songs.

Not knowing how other writers' minds work, wondering if anyone would care to share what motivates them when writing. What ticks all their boxes, and gives them the inspiration to put pen to paper? I'd love to understand a little more about these motivating forces. Might even inspire me with that flash fiction I am deliberating upon...

Comments

• I just like making stuff up.
  • I like taking the p*ss out of life, if people enjoy it, that's a plus
  • There's got to be some things you are reading, watching or listening to, that incites your word skills?

No one's a Robinson Crusoe, completely isolated from the goings-.on in this world?

Even he had a history to look back on, otherwise he'd have never have survived, alone, on that Island, providing for himself...?
  • Some things can't be analysed.
  • There's got to be some things you are reading, watching or listening to, that incites your word skills?
    Absolutely. I read a lot and travel a lot and have several interests. I'm sure these things do influence my work.
  • Just posing a question. Been on some blogs tonight, and reading some young people's thoughts, who have expressed a liking for my own posts.
    Why don't you post a link to your blog on the 'Blog Updates' thread so that we - your fellow writers - can read it?

As for 'not knowing how others writers minds work' - no one knows how another writer's mind works. Writers are as individual as anyone else and take their inspiration from different sources and life experiences.

Lydia, you seem to be spending an inordinate amount of time analysing. Just have a go at writing a piece of flash fiction for the One Word Challenge.
  • Claudia said: "Lydia, you seem to be spending an inordinate amount of time analysing. Just have a go at writing a piece of flash fiction for the One Word Challenge. "

Wot Claudia said, Lydia.
  • edited June 2016
    We write the way we do because of who we are - and that means we all have individual ways of approaching the task, and we all have our own unique voice. Doesn't matter how educated or otherwise we are, we've all got something to say and we want to tell it. That may be just for our own consumption or for the public, but a writer writes - that's it.
    It's an ongoing learning process, and very rarely do we get it right first, or second, or even third time.
    The thing is not to be afraid to try it, and not to worry what other people think, and just to attack our work with everything we've got in us. Got to have faith and drive and a desire to tell something, and the tools to do it. A table doesn't get built because someone feels they'd like to, but they wonder how everyone else approaches the idea, and whether they can be as good with a piece of sandpaper, and whether it ought to be pine or oak or some exotic hardwood no-one's heard of yet: a table is built because that person sorts out the necessary wood and tools and puts the thing together. It may be wonky, and pretty ugly as tables go, but you can bet your life the person learned a lot along on the way about how to improve. They achieved a kind of table: next time it will be a better kind.

• Just added my blog details to that thread, as Claudia suggested.. Will try an add that opening scene today, if anyone cares to check it out, or the blog posts there. Just a few.

And, yes, I live ' in my head' a lot. Very introspective. I read once that, having an 'absent' mother propels you onto good writing. Something about leaving you with tortured emotions to gain depth in your tales....?

I am deliberating on a topic for the flash fiction. It's not my genre so I'll have to put some thought into it first...

That's a very good analogy about the making of a table, Mrs Bear. That's what I mean about writers who can go 'wide'. Myself, I try to concentrate on emotional depth with my characters, as I don't have the experiences to go wide.

They say, if you live, you learn. Maybe if I can chalk up some different experiences, then 'going wide' will be more of a possibility, as well as depth...? To be hoped for.. As you suggested. There's always room for improvements and life lessons to be learned..
  • Does anyone know anything about hootsuite... I believe that is to allow you to link all your posts, messages, tweets etc? Is it free, and simple to set up? To link those messages??
  • I've used it but stopped - I don't like reading the same content on all platforms and I assume I'm not alone. TweetDeck works well for scheduling tweets.