Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Podcasts?

edited June 2016 in Writing
Anyone have any understandings on this topic? Thinking of getting involved with this, as I read it is the fastest growing communication, with better chances of receptivity than blogging, as there are less podcasters to every blogger.

Know you need some special equipment for this, but it doesn't sound too expensive? Just wondering about the technical side, me being completely alien to all that type of stuff. Typical me. I appear to be 'allergic' to the knowledge that would considerably aid in my attempts at a career. Murphy's law('sure, I'm out to get ya' - song lyrics from the 80s... So it seems...).

Comments

• Shouldn't be expensive in the slightest, just record yourself on a webcam or anything that records sound :) Plenty of free editing software and hosting for it an all :)
  • Webcam? Thought that was for videos? They were referring to the quality of sound as being essential in a recording? That's why they recommend buying equipment for this, as it can deter listeners if they cannot hear the podcaster's voice properly?

They also suggested that if you pay a host company, they will be able to place it in the right target zones for that niche...? So there might be more to it if you want to make a big splash, rather than just meddling in it, perhaps....?
  • Webcam? Thought that was for videos?
    You can use webcams to record sound only.

Oh yeah, you can spend a fortune if so inclined. Same as anything, there's a cheap way of doing it, and no upper limit to the expensive way of doing it. You could hire the BBC to record it, but it will only change the quality of sound...
    ...as it can deter listeners if they cannot hear the podcaster's voice properly?
    ...and while it would be best to get the highest quality possible, there are a hundred other things that will deter listeners. With soooo many podcasts available, what will make yours stand out? I've heard of famous authors getting minimal hits, and that's nothing to do with so called target zones.

You'd have to have something really decent worth listening to in the first place. Why not start out with what you have, and work up from there? You can pick up fantastic microphones dead cheap (doesn't have to be anything special), and choose from a myriad of free software to record and edit and host.

There are people with millions of views on YouTube that just record from their mobile phone! The only thing expensive equipment and spending money on expensive hosting will do is make it sound slightly better in quality....and sound quality only.

I'm not trying to put you off, just saying a podcast will do naff all to sales. Even if you're an overnight hit (podcast wise), it's not going to change the quality of your writing.
  • Have a look at Periscope. If you're on Twitter search for #periscope.
  • Quite certain of the quality of my creativity, but that's no guaranteed for success. Just thought I'd look into the specifications of podcasts, if even just to broadcast my political views to bring them to a bigger audience...

Your suggestions sound practical and affordable from where I am right now. That most things can be done for free. About the technical side of things. Have you any idea how easy that is to gain expertise in? And now that you've mention YouTube too, that sounds like a good way to get some attention to my 'visions' of this world, whether related to my story ideas or politics... all sounds quite exciting ideas. It's just getting the practical side together and planning what it is I want to say and portray... Could be fun, just for that alone...

Thanks Baggy Books. I'll give that a look now...
  • Just tuned into that Twitter account and I couldn't get any sound with those videos. Is that normal? Is there anywhere else I can locate videos on Youtube? Somewhere I can select for my own preferences? Podcasts too. I've noticed there's not many of these with women presenting them...? Any where this can be remedied..?
  • Make sure you have turned your speaker on at home, and also remember to click the little icon on the right of the clip to 'uncross' sound off.
  • You could hire the BBC to record it, but it will only change the quality of sound...
    Really not true at all, especially in this day and age when people are watching on screens of enormous size - now this is something I DO know about, OH being a film editor. When they put stuff filmed on a camera available to you and me in with a show, it shows all right. You can get HD cameras, but they are still not as good as the BBC ones. Because it's not just the amount of information in the picture, it's also dependent on the lens taking in that information.

That being said a good domestic HD will look fine on a computer and do the job brilliantly, sound and picture.

It is easy to film yourself, what isn't so easy is finding the persona and presence to bring off talking or reading to a camera.

• When I was studying for accountancy exams (decades ago), I recorded my notes so I could listen to them in the car. My God, how boring I sounded. I take my hat off to anyone who has a great recording voice. Carol has one, she's a natural.
  • I did that with all the books I was studying for my English degree. I'd play them back when I was in bed, and promptly send myself to sleep.

I think you just have to be aware that you are talking to others and not to yourself. It's interesting content and engaging delivery which will attract fans.
  • As a would-be amateur podcaster, I am not expecting to command thousands of listeners. Just connect with a few like-minded sorts, especially those who might find my stories interesting and might wish to learn more about me, my values and personality.

When I have created some sort of strategy, I will look into all of this properly, with the details you have supplied here on this, with a view of putting podcasts out there for fun, as well as business. It can only enhance my reputation as a would-be writer...
  • I thought about reading extracts from my children's books for my website... but that was as far as I got, thinking.
  • That's the important issue. To develop an idea for the podcasts, one's unique selling point, and ensuring that, once things have been worked out, technically, one is consistent with the message. After that, things should run smoothly. It would just be a case of how many people could be engaged, world wide...