Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Query letter and covering letter

edited July 2016 in Writing
Right, I've mentioned this before, but here I go again.

The submission of manuscripts and everything that goes along with it can be quite confusing (for me anyway), but I was under the assumption that a cover letter is a very very short introduction of yourself and your novel, before you submit your query, synopsis etc.

Now, I've always thought your query letter more or less consisted of the same things that a cover letter does, but is more in-depth, even though still quite short. Almost even making the cover letter irrelevant.

Then I've read this: "A cover letter accompanies a short work (poetry, a short story, an essay) that you’re sending to a literary journal. It’s a letter of introduction, not a summary."

Whereas a query letter...

"A query letter accompanies a book’s submission material. Unlike a cover letter, a query letter does not assume that the agent who receives it will read your work. He or she might just as easily toss it onto the “no” pile! So the main goal of a query letter is to convince the agent to read your manuscript."

Is this true? Because if so, it completely makes sense, but has also screwed up a few submissions I did for my last novel!

Thanks.

Comments

• It does make sense to me, although a query might also be sent without the submission (for non fiction or when unsolicited work isn't considered).

I wouldn't send a cover letter and a query together.
  • edited July 2016
    And if a publisher says no unsolicited submissions they might agree to see a submission if a query letter is sent asking and giving a brief outline. (just seen PM said that too- it is Friday. :) )
  • Eye catching email - most agents and independent publishers prefer stuff sent go them by email so it's more important that you follow their instructions on this to the letter to even make it onto their 'virtual' slush pile as it is nowadays.

Once you've done that you need an elevator pitch at the beginning of the email - one sentence (short) that sums up what you're offering - be it query letter, cover letter or whatever, something that'll make them think 'now that's intriguing'.