Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

In between 1st and 2nd draft of novel

edited August 2016 in Writing
I'm currently writing my first draft (57,773 words so far); however, I've realised that particular scenes I have already done will need to be changed significantly in order to fit in with where I'm going next. I obviously don't want to rewrite what I have already done, but how do people normally continue their first draft when they know the majority of what comes before needs to be rewritten and to a great extent? Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,
Doglover

Comments

• edited August 2016
    High DL. I am far from an authority, but have completed six novels, with two presently in pre-publish stage. I am one for finishing completely, even if I am aware of a similar predicament to yours. Of course we would have side notes of the pending changes.

My preference for proceeding this way is because I consider it 'mission accomplished' on completion of the first full draft. There is no further searching and probing for that last sentence, or word.

Because of that, I am then able to focus EXCLUSIVELY on revision, reworking and fine-tuning. I am, at that stage, aware of the necessity to rewrite sections, but having completed the first draft, I am more aware of what changes, and where, to make. If you choose to rewrite NOW, you might even rewrite the rewrite, should the novel's direction change (as many do) during the course of the closing chapters.

This is just my opinion and method. Other correspondents will certainly offer an opposing cross-section of help.
  • I'm in that position with my main short novel. First draft complete and rested, and now I'm doing the major changes, additions and such in draft 2.

I'm going through a chapter at a time and making the adjustments that I know are needed, and adding in anything I'd not included in that chapter in draft 1- in my case a secondary character that must appear at this stage so it fits in with the later parts.

I know what works for me at the first draft stage, but I'm now discovering my method for draft 2.
  • Thanks for the advice, Paige and Carol. My thoughts were to just plod on, but I do know that while I have an idea where I'm going with the beginning bit, I'm not even sure half the scenes that I have already written are really relevant. So, while I'm saying that I have written 57,000, probably some of this will not even be worthwhile. I will add the relevant notes to each part that I want to change and just hopefully jump in with where I should be now, if those changes had been made.
  • edited August 2016
    Sometimes there's simply no way round it - you've got to re-write. Because I work in Scrivener, I cut and paste those scenes that have to be changed into holding files, so that if I change my mind, or if I think they may be of use at a different point, I still have them.

I'd suggest that at this point you write out a list of what has to happen and when in the preceding chapters, and then move on with the current work and the ending. You need to mark the point at which you begin to work on the plot as it will be when you've made the changes to the earlier sections; but that assumes that you will make the changes as you currently see them.

If you have such a list you are more likely to stick to it than if you were to just plough on; what if, when you later re-wrote the beginning, you found it led somewhere different than you had thought? You've worked out that the plot demands changes: so write those changes down now, then you can flesh them out later.

Writing isn't linear - it's more like snakes and ladders!
  • Thanks, Mrs Bear. I'm going to write the list now. It needs to be changed, as there wasn't enough conflict between my main characters and I the main character was annoying me as she was quite repetitive and her reasons for not being with the hero were getting a bit tedious. Change is needed.
  • Whatever works for you, doglover!

My own experience - after some trial and a LOT of error - leads me now to plough on even when I know it's got to change way back, but make notes of my thoughts so I don't forget what I was thinking when I come to the first rewrite.

Note I say 'first rewrite'. There will be more than one before you're happy with it. Writing is a slow process for many of us.
  • Thanks for the advice, Lizy. I know I have to plod on. I'm just filled with all these ideas for draft number 2. I only wish I'd had those ideas earlier.
  • It might not work for you...

But we (part of a writing partnership, I'm not Gollum/Smeagol, honest) if we know things are going to change or scenes need adding in earlier in the draft since we started it, we just carry on. But we make notes either in the doc (i.e. so and so needs to changing/adding in editing stage) or just open a brand new file (or old fashioned notebook) and put notes in there. We currently have some notes for book 1 in there to grab after we've finished editing book 2.

I tend to go with the 'no turning back' option with a first draft. It's all about going forward because if I look back, I tend to find more and more things to change and I switch to editing head rather than writing heart.

Don't worry about having ideas later on, this is why editing comes later. Me and Loz are always thinking up new things (that weren't in the 'plan') and having to change things in the second draft. Our first book's ending was originally in the middle. And book 2, that we're editing at the moment, has a few scenes that need completely rewriting or rearranging to fit with the continuity and ideas we thought up later.

So, to cut a long prattle short, I'd say just carry on with the ideas you have now but make some notes ready for you when it comes to editing.

• edited August 2016
    Thanks, Jediya. I've made notes for what I have done so far in the first draft. This took me the whole of yesterday to do. Now, I'm continuing with the story from where my changes would be, and I'm quite pleased with the new ideas and what I'm writing now. Let's just hope it continues to be positive.