Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Script writing

edited August 2016 in Writing
I just flicked through a copy of the new Harry Potter book, which is in fact the script of the film. Anyone know if it reads like a real script, or is it a tame version for the reader?

Comments

• I flicked through also. Can't help with your question because I know nothing about scripts, but what struck me when I also flicked through, was the extraordinary use of 'white space' (common with scripts) with the consequent non-use of written material. Given major bookstores have been promoting at £18 to 20, (hardback) there's a nice little earner for an author and publisher! Now that is magic!!
  • I note that the author is not J.K.R herself but the script writer.
  • Yeah, But you can be damn sure that JKR will receive the bulk of the royalties via rights, etc!

But your post has whetted my appetite; I shall have a longer flick through today!
  • And I did. Very much a script, and as a result, very difficult to read because the actors name prefaces each section of text. I felt like a 'cursed child' just trying to read it.
  • Oh I've seen that and hated the idea of the presentation.
    Not paying £12
    Not borrowing from the library (what do you mean, 'what's one of those?)'
    Not interested until it's booked up properly
  • So Is it ideal to learn how to write a script??
  • There are lots available to study for free on the BBC writers area. Can't remember the exact name, but I'm sure one of the others will know it.
  • BBC writers room!
  • I think I read somewhere, that a script is only around 20,000 words for a 2 hr film.
  • I once watched a film with about 20,000 oohs and aahs.

Interesting conundrum on that basis: Is that still a script, or 'ad lib'?
    ;)
  • Never thought about reading scripts from the BBC's Writers'Room. Bought scripts like Taxi Driver and American Beauty. Oh to be able to write such exceptional scripts. Beyond me, those types..