Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

I refused Windows 10

edited September 2016 in Writing
Since Microsoft have stopped nagging me evey day about Windows 10 I have noticed a total lack of updates.
My computer is considerably slower too.
The OH has noticed the same - are we being punished for turning it down?

Comments

• Doubtful. I declined and everything is fine.
  • My offer of a free Windows 10 expired in July, but I've had several updates since.

I suppose you've been arsey with someone at Windows, Lizy...
  • How can refusing an update to another operating system slow your computer down? Are they in control of your last one, surely once it's downloaded it's not under their control?
  • Lizy, you can manually ask your computer for updates. Go to your control panel, then system and security, and somewhere in there is Windows check for updates. Click on that and see what it brings up.

• When you see that little thing saying Windows invites you to install Win 10, they've already downloaded a huge file: it's lurking in the background on your computer waiting for you to wake it up.
    That may take up disk or memory space (no idea which, as I'm not technically minded) but it depends on the size of the machine, how many apps you're running, and all the other stuff on your computer, whether you've got enough space for it all.
    Updates may not be offered for some older versions. If in doubt, google your version and see who else has had the same problems.
  • Okay - thanks, Carol. I've checked for updates and it appears that my memory is at fault, not the laptop. No surprise there. I had an update install itself automatically three weeks ago!

Now, how do I track down this Win10 file that Mrs Bear says could be lurking and slowing things down?
  • I tried deleting it, Lizy, but up it popped like a bad penny. I'm not saying this will happen to you, but it got so bad I invested in a new PC. W10 isn't that different from W7. The only thing I miss is Windows Gallery Live, came with movie maker but I have purchased and installed, nero 2016 platinum, good bit of kit. I hate change, but that's life.
  • I only bought my laptop 18 months ago, and I've only just got used to the patchwork effect screen of Windows 8. Can't afford a new one anyway.
  • I know I've told you before, Lizy, but I got rid of that patchwork screen. And no, I still can't remember how. But I also did it for a friend and Mum's.

Found a link:

http://www.crocotips.com/list/windows-8-how-switch-to-desktop-mode/2
  • I won't be buying another when this one conks out.
    Apparently, MS, won't be bringing out another Windows, so updates I should imagine will be the thing. I allow an auto update except, skype, don't use it.
  • Wouldn't be without skype, i see my fsmily in canada through that, and my family in ireland. Wonderful invention.
  • I have family in. Oz, we email regularly, they use skype, but I won't use it much to their annoyance.
  • I have used Skype when a member of our writing group had to go home and was feeling very 'homesick' for GB, even though Santa Fe is her actual home. We had your meeting with her on the screen, which, as i had a huge computer, actually worked quite well. But the idea of speaking to anyone over it on my own? No.
  • The trouble with Skype (for me) is:
    a) I don't hear it alert;
    b) I seem to be looking in the wrong direction.
  • I used to skype with Gully. Remember him?
  • Yes! Is he ok?
  • Don't know. It was a long time ago and I know he was ill again.
  • edited September 2016
    Oh, I remember Gully. Sorry to hear he's ill.

Skype was an absolute godsend when I lived in Fiji. These days I use it when I want to have a chat with friends and family in the UK who only use mobiles because my phone package only includes unlimited international landlines.
    I almost always only ring people's phones rather than connect computer to computer and I never use the video thingy.

p.s. sorry about all those 'onlys'!
  • Hmm. Can't find him on FB any longer.
  • I heard some unhappy reports about Windows8, a lot of people had trouble with it, I have Windows 7, my screen picture is of Douglas Henshall in the last series of Shetland, my life would feel shattered if I could not get a picky of him
  • Lizy, here is what you do, click on the start tag, then control panel in program click uninstall a program. You then look for 'Windows 10 upgrade assistant' when you find it click on uninstall, it's that simple.