Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Anyone know how...

edited September 2016 in Writing
to add a link to a picture for Twitter?

I have saved a picture with text in Publisher as a jpeg and have added a link from the text to one of my Word files. (I wanted to link it to a Goodreads url, but it wouldn't let me paste that into the box. It just let me browse my own files) The cursor changes when it is over the link and seems to activate it when clicked, but it just takes me to an identical, larger picture rather than to the piece of writing.

Should I be saving it as something other than a jpeg?

Comments

• The options were:

Link to:
    Existing file or web page - I clicked this one
    Place in this document
    Create new document
    Email address

And then Look in:
    lots of different folders were shown so I chose where the writing was.

I wish I could show you the box and all the stupid options...

• Use your website - create a new post, don't post it though, keep it as a draft, and put the link to the image URL in your Twitter post.
  • Oh. Use my website?

Not 100% clear how it will all link up, dimwit that I am!

Is this it:
    So, put the picture on my website on a draft blog post and make a link to the piece on Goodreads (or Word) and then take the URL from the top of that blog post for Twitter which will show as the picture again?
  • No, look at the URL of the actual photo.
  • Right click on it should tell you, or it will be in the code version of the post.
  • Oh, OK. Thanks, Liz. I'll tackle it tomorrow!
  • Baggy will know!
  • Nell, I've just posted a photo and it's even easier than that - just write your tweet, make sure your photo is on your desktop, click on the camera icon below your tweet and choose the name of the photo from the box that appears - it will load and then you just tweet.
  • I can do it so it must be easy. What Liz said.
  • That was what I did several times, Liz, but attaching the right link to the photo in the first place was where the problem was! The photo is in Publisher which makes attaching a link difficult.
  • Attaching a link to a photo? Wut?
  • I know! It sounds stupid. I have done it a billion times before so no idea what has happened this time.
  • So lift it out of Publisher and put it on your desktop.
  • Do you mean you want to put text over a picture and have it work as a link...then paste the picture with a working clickable link on Twitter? Because that ain't gonna work! :P
  • Well, the link isn't 'over' the picture. I have taken a blank publisher template and have copied a smallish picture into the middle section. Above that is a text box with text - and that's where I want the link to be.
  • I'd do it in Blogger and copy the html.
  • You can't have a clickable link in picture format. When it's done on a website it's a background or a picture with hotspots over it...they are the clickable objects. It's like trying to print a gif. You'll have to upload the pic as normal and type/paste the link as part of the tweet.
  • Sorry, didn't realise that was all about Twitter. Ignore me. Again.
  • Oh, I see you didn't want to post the link to a picture you wanted a picture AS a link! I'm not sure I'd click on a Twitter image as I wouldn't expect it to be a link - why not just include the link you want on the tweet?
  • I can't find a single example of theirs that works! If you click the links they've typed/pasted in and go to their sites the pics work (obviously, that's easy on a website), but I can't click a picture on Twitter...maybe I'm just looking at the wrong ones *shrug*
  • Oh, so I'm trying to do the impossible?

It's not the first time...
  • Could Twitter have disabled it?
  • Don't worry, folks. I was trying to be clever. Clever doesn't become me. I'll just do a convoluted thing...
  • Sounds reasonable to me, Liz. It would open up a world of security problems.
  • Oh, so I'm trying to do the impossible?

It's not the first time...
    Everything is impossible until you succeed!
  • *heads to tattoo parlour*