Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

iPad Air

edited October 2016 in Writing
My work place has lent me one of these.

Any body got any ideas on uses for it besides email, camera, browsing, buying online?

Comments

• edited October 2016
    Writing?
  • Catching up on Poldark?

• Yes that's true I have looked up to programmes I used to watch so yes Carol, good idea.

Haven't got round to using the word processor bit for writing yet
  • Drawing - you can get quite good art apps to have fu with. There are also apps like Pixma which will change your photos into paintings.
  • Oh. That's interesting. I have yet to discover that.

• Liz, do you have to pay for apps like that?
  • I hear they are very good for splatting spiders with ;)
  • *eyes SL with suspicion*
  • No, you don't have to pay for pixma.
  • SL, ipad airs are no good for spiders. You need an ordinary ipad for that. Airs are too light.
  • Yes, games, but do you have to pay for those?
  • On the ipad somewhere there will be a symbol, an 'A' made out of pens. that is where you will get to the istore.

Everything on there will be safe to download, and you can look for 'games' and loads will come up. Some will have to be paid for, some will be free.

I think you will probably have to make yourself an identity though and maybe your bank details even if it is free. But you are never charged.
  • Hmm. Need to investigate it some more
  • If you can buy online with it. You can set up an Amazon account and use a gift card, no need for bank details. Masses of arty apps and games in there, lots of freebies too.
  • Tbh I don't want to give this back.
  • Hi dora. I'm typing thiis to you on an Apple iPad mini, which at around £215 was about a hundred pounds cheaper than the larger iPad, and far handier to take out with me to cafes, etc. As for its uses, you can do almost anything with it, as you'll have gathered from some of the comments. I used to think one of the things I couldn't do was to simply write, because I didn't know how to get a blank page. Then I discovered Internet Typewriter. It's at: bighugelabs.com

It cost me nothing to register, saves your work automatically whenever you close the iPad or simply move to another site, and has features like word-count, character-count, etc. You can also delete if you don't want to keep something. Just take care when typing your work that you don't accidentally touch the 'trash' button, as you can 'delete all' by mistake. The way to keep away from it is to leave space between the line you're typing on and that button by pressing the 'return' on your keyboard a few times, then bringing your cursor back up to your text again. With practice you can do it. It's all free, unless you want the Pro version, which I don't need. I just want a place to Save work-in-progress.

I can't airprint from my iPad, because I didn't set my printer up wirelessly, but it can be done. Also good for watching BBC iPlayer, and downloading fromYouTube. I never buy Apps either. You can find so much that's free.

Once you get used to an iPad mini, you'll never look back. Enjoy!
    Best Wishes,
    Cuttle