Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Is this a sentence...

edited October 2016 in - Writing Problems
Ark Royal, the most famous ship name in the Royal Navy after the flagship galleon first bearing the name fought against the Spanish Armada in 1588.

?

Comments

• If it's the info under a photo, I suppose it is an explanation of the photo image, and as such a sentence. If there is no picture, then I think not.
  • If it's the info under a photo, I suppose it is an explanation of the photo image, and as such a sentence. If there is no picture, then I think not.
    Thanks for that. I thought it was a valid sentence structure to start with the name of something, then add an explanation after the comma.
  • edited October 2016
    Change the first comma for 'is' and it is a sentence. Otherwise it has no verb to go with the subject ( Ark Royal). The rest is just an adjectival clause describing the subject.
  • Yes, What she said, and it's better like that even if there is a picture. Are you trying to saveo n words or something?
  • I think Victory is probably more famous.
  • 2 years for breaking and entering - that's a sentence.
  • *groans and grins*
  • 2 years for breaking and entering - that's a sentence.
    You get more than that for bonking slugs!
  • I can't think about HMS Ark Royal without hearing Rod Stewart.
  • I have so far always been able to picture the Ark Royal without seeing Rod Stewart. How easily innocence is lost.
  • I can't picture the Ark Royal. But I can picture Rod Stewart. *worries about self*
  • I think it's a sentence. Take out the descriptive bits and you've got 'Ark Royal ......... fought......' .... subject and verb.
  • Yes, What she said, and it's better like that even if there is a picture. Are you trying to saveo n words or something?
    Nawh, no need to save on words as they don't cost anything :-) I thought it was a good way of introducing the subject, but my sentence for not making a sentence was having to rewrite it. Serves me right for trying to be clever!
  • I can't picture the Ark Royal. But I can picture Rod Stewart. *worries about self*
    I can't picture Rod Stewart without thinking of the Kenny Everet sketch.
  • "But it's all done in the best possible taste!"
  • I used to know the Stewarts when I was a teenager. Met Gary Glitter at one of Rod's bashes... GG did talk to me, but at 16, I think I was a bit old for him, thank goodness!!
  • Lucky escape Claudia. The ark royals been recycled now hasn't it? A bit of it might have been turned into Rod Stewart walking stick.