Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Thoughts on writing courses

JenJen
edited October 2016 in Writing
I just have a few thoughts about writing courses. The first course I did years ago was for writing short stories, I paid for it. I I can't remember if I learnt anything that I couldn't have learnt from a how-to book. It didn't improve my confidence, I think I needed the tutor to say whether or not my writing was any good and as a result I didn't feel like I gained anything from it (unless I've forgotten).
I've nearly completed a novel writing course which I am doing free of charge as a good will gesture as I couldn't accept my prize of going to a course away from home. It has definitely helped my confidence, I've learned a little bit but maybe most is what I would've learnt from a how-to book or online. I guess that can't be helped it is a beginners course and I've read a lot of writing books (which is something else to talk about) I've felt that the tutor has been very supportive with the advice. However I don't really know if this is helping my style, I'm wondering if the style my tutor has is maybe being encouraged. I'm not sure, it was just the one lesson where I thought I can't understand this and I don't do this (indirect thoughts/dialogue I think it was, I write mine like speech and can't seem to master another way like Jane Austen does where you're in the characters head).

So my thoughts are this: maybe you're better off having your work critiqued and that person then saying how you can improve and what lessons you need to learn to improve your general writing. I had the option at the end of my short story course to pay for a few stories to be critiqued but I didn't have the money, it's a shame it couldn't have been part of the course!
What are your thoughts? Unless it's a course that helps you to develop your unique style and points out what mistakes you are making I don't know whether it's worth it unless you've never picked up a writing book or a pen.

Comments

• Hi! I'm not sure how the course works unless there was constructive feedback? Advice is feedback, as it will be the advice the instructor has noticed you need.

I went to a course by Crysse Morrison who used to work for Writers' News at a college and she was excellent - but mainly supportive, not much criticism. Enough for me at the time as a completely new writer, though.

Then found my niche and went on a course at Bath Uni and did get good critiques and got published.

I suggest going to an evening course held at a university where the standard of tuition is bound to be high.

A group situation is really only f use where there is a high standard of work from all the members, and a high standard for constructive criticism - when that is in place I think this is the best form of learning, but hard to get a group of like-minded and similar quality writers. Better to be the worst in a group of fab writers than better than the rest.

• Agree with Liz - a University or well-recognised course can do wonders for any of us. You may hear much of what you've read in 'How to' books, but the feedback and camaraderie is invaluable.
    Our 'style' is unique to each and every one of us. We might aspire to write like a certain best-selling author, but never will we be able to emulate that particular style because of the lexicology we have grown up with. Again, style can be best commented upon in an open environment, and whilst a tad embarrassing at first, open critique certainly lets us know where we stand!
  • Shame my job doesn't give me the freedom to do any courses and I can't get to them either
  • You can do Open University ones, via computer.
  • There is also Open Learn which Are free
  • I think the t was Future a Learn not Open Learn
  • I've done a free one on future learn and one on writers online.
  • edited October 2016
    Reading is cheap and effective. Writers' Group attendance inspired me to submit to magazines. There's a feature of mine published in Suffolk Norfolk Life this week, one pending and a couple for next year in other mags.
  • C2C2
    edited October 2016
    And there's these - https://www.writers-online.co.uk/writing-courses/
    I've never clicked that link. Thanks PM.

• I probably need to go on one.
  • Life is the greatest writing course*!

*says the poor man :P