Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Book cover image

edited November 2016 in Writing
A question: I've finished the novel, and I'll need a cover. I have an image - a photo taken by me - of a kind of statue called the Quarterjack on the west tower of Wimborne Minster. It figures in the story, and I want this and the next book to be called the Quarterjack novels.
Am I allowed to use that image on the cover? PM, perhaps Mr PM would know?

Comments

• You have copyright of the photo as you took it. However, if the statue is also 'copyrighted' (or whatever the term is for statues!) there could possibly be an issue. I would check with Wimborne Minster.
  • Agree with Heather, some places have been able to restrict commercial use of images taken by other people unless they've been agreed (and presumably paid a fee) - the estate where Durdle Door is has this.

Though I can't see how they have any right to object to you calling the two books the Quarterjack novels.

Where's PM when she's needed? :)
  • I had to get permission from the Vatican Museums to use my photos of their statues – even those in St Peter's Square.

Churches often have notices displayed that permit photos being taken for non-commercial use but you need their permission to use them commercially.

Using photos for fiction covers isn't recommended. A designer would be able to create something based on your image.
  • Mr PM says ... Were you in a public place when you took the photo? Is the main subject part of a public place? Generally if yes to both it's OK, but there can still be restrictions. He's not sure that churches do count as public places. If it's not considered public then you would need the owner's permission.

A book cover would be considered commercial use. They might charge for that.
  • I'm certain I can remember seeing a notice in Wimborne Minster about needing permission for commercial use. Ironically, it was the day I met up with Mrs B and PM.

Or it might have been Christchurch Priory. Which means, ironically, nothing.
  • I don't remember seeing it and neither does Mr PM - but that doesn't mean there wasn't one. Maybe we need to go back and eat more cake, um, I mean have a look.
  • I don't remember seeing it and neither does Mr PM - but that doesn't mean there wasn't one. Maybe we need to go back and eat more cake, um, I mean have a look.

I have to go to Colehill next week. I don't mind the detour
    to the cake shop Minster.

• It's a noble thing that you do, BB. Have a cake on me.