Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Amazon's A New Night Before Christmas Writing Competition - closes this month

2»

Comments

• Is this that poem about everything being so quiet you couldn't hear a mouse?
    Umm no. It involves Santa's hairy bum.
    Oh, I must have been thinking of something else.
    :D
  • Today's the final day and I sent mine in the body of the email. I hope that, as they weren't specific, that won't disqualify me.

No acknowledgement here either, but I wasn't expecting one.
  • Is this that poem about everything being so quiet you couldn't hear a mouse?
    Umm no. It involves Santa's hairy bum.
    Oh, I must have been thinking of something else.
    :D
    My search to find out what happened (other than nothing was stirring, not even a mouse) has just taken me to the plot of a 1905 film on IMDb and I am none the wiser. Considering today is the deadline, I don't think it matters.
    8-|
  • Today's the final day and I sent mine in the body of the email. I hope that, as they weren't specific, that won't disqualify me.

No acknowledgement here either, but I wasn't expecting one.
    Best of luck, Lizy.
  • Did I read that they will announce the winner tomorrow?

No idea how they'll manage that!
  • I thought it said 'early December' ?

I imagine there will be thousands of entries.
  • Early December is whst they said. If i remember correctly each story was to be read as it arrived. They'll have to judge quickly if they're going to put it online pre Christmas.
  • Let me get this straight... the comp only closed yesterday? And they're saying they'll announce the winner in early December?
    If they're really planning to do that, I don't see how the judges will have time to make a proper, informed decision. Sounds like a car crash of a competition!
    (But I still wish tbers luck with it!!)
  • edited November 2016
    They defined what they'll be basing the judging on.

"each Book will be rated based on the following criteria: (i) originality of Book content; (ii) creativity of Book content; and (iii) quality of writing (collectively, the “Judging Criteria”), as determined by Sponsor in its sole discretion. One Prize winner will be selected based on the Judging Criteria. In the event of a tie, the tie will be broken by the tied Books being rated based solely on originality of Book content, as determined by Sponsor in its sole discretion."

So an entry arrives and is probably read through straightaway, and a portion will not make the grade.

Early December could be the first week, or going into the second week.
  • 'The Prize winner will be notified by e-mail on or about 28th November 2016 (the “Notification”). Sponsor is under no obligation to contact you if you are not selected as the Prize winner.'
  • I think it's more likely to be 'about' than 'on' the 28th!

They probably have loads of first readers who'll eliminate a lot of entries straight away.
  • There were three emails from Amazon in my inbox this morning - none of them telling me I'm the winner :(
  • Yes... yes... yes...

Oh, Lizy, I thought you had good news for a minute.
  • Just saw an answer to someone's question (on the article on the Bookseller website)about whether the results had been announced yet.

Someone replied saying they'd had an email saying they were still working through the stories.

Have any TB's received it too?
  • Nothing here.

I'm not surprised there are a lot of entries, but gosh they're cutting it fine. The winner has 2 days to accept, then the book has to be illustrated, formatted etc and made available by the 20th. The artist will need to be quick on the draw!
  • Suspect it will be a computer generated illustration and not complex as it will be on Kindle.
  • Nope. Tbh had forgotten all about it!
  • edited December 2016
    I had an email they have chosen the winner. Sol the Slug's night before Xmas, by Lucy Banks. I've just downloaded it.
  • Perfect. Very well deserved winner.
  • Read it now, lovely story.
  • That means the writers who didn't win now have a story for next year.
  • I downloaded it too. Well done Lucy. I might use my story elsewhere, Carol, but I wouldn't send it to a comp that's already rejected it!
  • edited December 2016
    As long as it doesn't sit in a drawer, and does get used.

Just because one judge 'rejected' it, it doesn't mean another would. Judging is subjective.
  • She's a WM subscriber too!
  • That's good news, Webbo. :)