Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Puctuation marks for thoughts?

edited November 2016 in Writing
How should I mark thoughts as distinct from speech? Is this right?
...... she slipped gratefully into the fresh garments. ‘These knickers are too big,’ she thought and checked the label - they were size twelve and she was sure she was a ten.

Comments

• A lot depends on the context, but for direct thoughts this seems fine.

• Whatever the correct punctuation, yet another example of a woman in denial
  • I always use italics and no speech marks for thoughts.
  • That can work too.

Sometimes you don't need anything.
  • Same with me, Tiny! Always use italics. But I think both are acceptable.

What an amazing woman that Tiny Nell is thinking along the same lines as myself
  • I couldn't agree more!
  • In my novel I have the main character delirious, and I've put all her thoughts there in italics.
    It isn't strictly necessary to put thoughts in any special punctuation, but whichever you choose, stick to it throughout.
  • I don't use any speech marks for thoughts.

• LizLiz
    edited November 2016
    I always buy knickers a size too big. I don't like to be restricted.
  • Big knickers are hygge.
  • But better to incorporate thoughts in the narrative - after all, we don't think in sentences. In fact you have done this already with her second thought about the sizing.

She slipped gratefully into the fresh garments. They were huge. She checked the label - they were size twelve and she was sure she was a ten.
  • But better to incorporate thoughts in the narrative - after all, we don't think in sentences. In fact you have done this already with her second thought about the sizing.

She slipped gratefully into the fresh garments. They were huge. She checked the label - they were size twelve and she was sure she was a ten.
  • Whatever the correct punctuation, yet another example of a woman in denial
    Yet another example of sm not reading the text properly before making a misogynist remark.