Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Short stories for Amazon.

Comments

• Thanks, Lydia – I really hope you enjoy the stories.

I've found that writing stories sometimes helps me understand things from other perspectives. When someone annoys me, I quite often put them in a story and may adapt the annoying incident into a piece of fiction. That means I have to consider the motivations and feelings of all those involved.
  • Great! That's what I do. Revenge by proxy...!
  • I knew I couldn't be the only one.
  • Of course. There's never ever only just one of a kind...
  • Read, in the writing magazine, that one writer writes short stories, puts them up free on his website, and allows people to donate money to him for doing this, earning $2,000 a month.

Just proves if you have the determinAtion and will you CAN make some money through your own efforts. Good luck to the guy..
  • LizLiz
    edited June 2017
  • edited June 2017
    Liz, I was just pointing out this guy's entrepreneurial skills. That he had assessed the market and came up with a winning formula. I wasn't suggesting I could do the same. Merely congratulating him on his success. Where's the harm in that? That's what we are all aiming towards, isn't it? So good luck to this guy who has found a way of turning his writing skills into real money.
  • Been spending time on Goodreads trying to make contacts. Realising now, that's all about reading books, whereas Wattpad has over 25 million users each month. Much more likely to find like minded characters on there, amateur writers needing to share their tales, so need to concentrate efforts there.

Also, belong to another forum for over 50's and it is interesting, but not much in the way of what I am looking for. Information pertaining to me, like on TB.

Have just located a pen pal site with some people there who seem to have similar nature's to my own and, as I want to make direct friendships, as I prefer the personal touch in such things, this seems the way to go.

And this forum, where I can't quite understand the lifestyles you are all leading, quite different to my pared down version of one, but you all make me feel quite welcome with the small morsels I am able to offer in these posts. Thanks for that. That's what I'd really like. To be accepted on my own terms as a 'wanna-be writer....'...
  • C2C2
    edited June 2017
    Lydia Quote:

And this forum, where I can't quite understand the lifestyles you are all leading, quite different to my pared down version of one, but you all make me feel quite welcome with the small morsels I am able to offer in these posts. Thanks for that. That's what I'd really like. To be accepted on my own terms as a 'wanna-be writer....'...

Lifestyles? If people have the same interest, in this instants, writing, what difference does it make. And to be perfectly honest, from all the interest, replies of help and encouragement you have received, if you can't see how much you are accepted as a 'wanna - be writer, in this forum, then you are definitely missing something...valuable.

• Tend to agree, C2. I think Lydia might have not accurately recorded what she meant to say. I think (and I know I will be corrected) that because many of us sprout off about different activities and achievements, Lydia's life pales by comparison.

But you are correct in what you say, C2, that no matter whether we are a corporate executive writing in 10 minutes' spare time, or a fully fledged full-time author travelling the countryside gathering snippets of plots and information with each stop, we are all writers, and THAT is our common bond.

For Lydia, there is no question that you are 'accepted'. That is evidenced by the amount of time members put into replying to your many and varied posts. We all strive for acceptance and recognition; sometimes we must look around to make sure we are not blind to it.
  • Remember Lydia we only show certain aspects of our life here, we don't reveal intensely personal aspects of our lives out of respect for our family members.

But we all share the desire to write, produce good work for our readers- now and in the future- and are happy to share our knowledge and support whenever it's needed.
  • PET's right. I didn't express what I meant to say properly. It definitely was to do with the fact that I am unable to do the normal things that I read TB members enjoying. So a bit of envy here from me, if you don't mind.

And I do welcome, and have expressed on numerous occasions how much I appreciate everyone's assistance and advice given on here to me. I hope I have conveyed that properly this time...
  • Just been looking at some writers' tips. And Rose Tremain, whose stories I have read and liked, suggested that 'don't plan the ending at the planning stage. Rather, it has to be earned by all that goes before it.'.

So she is kind of saying 'write blind' without knowing the ending to your tale. Is that really good advice or would it mean you wouldn't have a proper structure so would waste time going in all directions rather than having a clear frame to work around?
  • Different people work in different ways.

I don't always have an ending in mind. Sometimes events in the stories lead me there.

But, on other occasions, I know the beginning and end, but the middle is an unfamiliar map I have to navigate my way through.

I don't think there is one absolute formula. You just work in whatever way feels appropriate at the time.
  • Different people work in different ways.

I don't always have an ending in mind. Sometimes events in the stories lead me there.

But, on other occasions, I know the beginning and end, but the middle is an unfamiliar map I have to navigate my way through.

I don't think there is one absolute formula. You just work in whatever way feels appropriate at the time.
  • And sometimes your usual method just doesn't work and you find something else does.
  • I use to just splurge some ideas down randomly, without any structure at all, but that was before I decided to take things seriously and started reading up on self help books on this topic.

As you can imagine. There was no real rhyme or reason to these tales so I learnt that, personally, I do need some frame to hang my ideas on, but as you say. It's different for others...
  • Sometimes i start out knowing the ending but shove off in a totally different direction.
  • Just been reading about high and low concept, for scripts, but can be linked to fiction too. The idea being, to keep things universal, that all humans can relate to the emotions, drama unfolding. That's it. How to turn my script into a novella that the Wattpad crowd might like? I'd have to win over followers with free stories before I can think of selling them.

Has anyone heard of pensee.com? Where you earn money for every chapter read? Tried checking it online but couldn't find a proper link??? Might just be the answer to how to make some money...?
  • Sounds a bit too good to be true!

Have you heard of a story arc, Lydia? It's basically the shape of a story, and should include some type of conflict and (some type of) resolution. The conflict could involve other characters, a situation, or even internal anguish.

If you're brainstorming, that could dilute the main theme, as could too vast a cast of characters.
  • Thanks for advice, TN. I've picked up on those factors in all the books I've read on this subject, especially where scripts are concerned. And I'm still progressing with my co writer on this draft we are doing. Gradually coming together...
  • Well, I have checked out some stories on Wattpad and they really are badly written and not the kind of tales I would wish to tell. I don't think my words will have any importance there. But at least I have examined that possibility, and found it wanting.

So I guess it is the likes of Goodreads and other websites that offer a platform for amateur writers. A much more sophisticated crowd there so will need to up my game, but I like being challenged.

It was a case of testing the water before diving in. So I shall read on with the books I have downloaded on this subject, short stories etc, and see what they suggest are the best way to promote them.

And the good thing is is that my cowriter is quite prepared to collaborate on the prose too, which, as some of you have pointed out, should help me as my knowledge on the construction of the written word is not complete. So I will have someone with expertise on board..
  • Have you tried free-writing Lydia? And putting the research (in all forms) down until you write "the end"?

Two of the best writing "tips" I've received from other writers.

Or are you at the editing stage?
  • Free writing? Not sure that would help me. I used to write like that, when I first started writing, without knowing, then, that that was what it was called. Just splurging out words onto paper without giving much thought to them. It certainly led to some 'wild and untamed' writing, but I'm not sure this is what is needed now.

Think I need a more structured approach so as not to waste time in going in the wrong direction. Am currently concentrating on the film draft, but reading up on short stories etc so that I can prepare for them too soon..
  • Need some advice here. I'm debating what free short stories i need to write to gain the attention of those who might be interested in these tales. Young Adult, I'm thinking? Around 7,000 words? Not sure if these tales should be about my protagonist in the novelette series you have advised is the best for sales? Any advice on this?
  • Lydia, some of your material might be a little too 'mature' for YA readers. You might have to dilute some material.

But, is there a definite advantage to writing new material instead of refining and submitting your WIP?
  • There's also the fact that, on websites like Wattpad, although they deal in short stories, they have a tendency to objectify and sexualise female characters. So I'm not sure if they'd welcome my writing.

I'm quite prepared to adapt my material if I think I could find a readership for them, but not to the sense of belittling female characters. If anything, platforms like Wattpad could really do with some strong females on there. Can't be healthy to anyone's psyche to have such downtrodden portrayals of women, can it?
  • Just a query here. What is the correct word/s to describe prose writing that has a lyrical bent to it? I recall something about prose that has a sort of musical rhythm to it, but don't know the word so am having difficulties finding any info on this subject online. Can anyone supply details on this, please..?
  • I think you'll find it's simply described as Lyrical Prose.
  • Thanks, Claudia. I'll go and check online...
  • Been on Wattpad. My cowriter suggested I check out some threads there and read up on some of the stories.

I was thinking that YA was the genre to write within. The most popular, but they are usually very badly visualised and mostly about vampires and fantasy. Those are not the stories that interest me.

Found a thread where they were discussing New Adult and Mature romance. I just get the impression that words have real meaning with those types. Hold more currency.

So now I have to figure out which one to write for, bearing in mind the commercial side of my plans. Just can't see me getting any joy at writing YA material. So maybe mature stuff aimed at adults on Wattpad and Goodreads ..?
  • Write something, please...
  • edited August 2017
    Write something, please...
    Why? You offering to read it and provide constructive feedback?

• I am SM(good to see you back, by the way). I'm halfway through my film script and checking out Amazon Studios and how to upload it onto there for evaluation. You can make as many revisions of the script as possible , with the help from other's critiques on there, and still seek out agents and enter competitions while on there...

Just trying to figure out which would be the best genre for me on Wattpad. Been discussing it on there with some mature writers. Actually, methinks it might be best to create for YA because, due to my inexperience in life, I think I might be more 'on the same wavelength' as the youths, with regard to writing, but with the added bonus that I have enough experience to offer them support and guidance.

There's one who has started sending messages to me who I kind of see me as being a mentor to. That could become a unique selling point, maybe...?
  • Am discussing what story ideas would be best on Wattpad with a fellow writer on there, and they were suggesting that, instead of sexualizing my characters, which seems so graphic on there, most YA stories, then rather romantise them, which could be 'erotic' in its own terms? It could be my USP? Which might attract a following? Sort of break from the norm?
  • Been speculating with others on Wattpad. About which stories to write to gain attention and followers. Not quite sure about romance now for that grouping. YA. Might be a bit too young. Have been listening to Paul Weller's band of the 70s, The Jam. Some great songs with great lyrics. I figure those are the type of scenarios that youngsters, males and females, have to cope with, at my level, background, so why not write about such events? Much more likely to get a following? 'Long, hot summer...' Style Council. Exceptional writing...

Will push on with the drafting of the script, while setting out the characters and various plots needed for a series, together with possible spin off with other characters from the stories..

• Will push on with the drafting of the script, while setting out the characters and various plots needed for a series, together with possible spin off with other characters from the stories..
    That sounds like a huge workload! Remember you need to find time to actually write all these stories, not just keep coming up with plots.
  • The best stories "to write to gain attention and followers. " are the ones you can best write – and they'll be the ones which most interest you.

But there's not a hope of engaging readers unless you actually write something.
  • Yes and in an earlier comment, Snailmale has begged you to write something with his supportive comment to you applauded with a thanks by several other Talkbackers.

So it would seem your writing is eagerly awaited to be read by these Talkbackers as they appear to be all consumed with a need for you to write.
  • I am writing. Drafting the film script. It is well over 50 pages now. Just pausing while I read through those pages, to get a better perspective.

In the meantime, I am discussing with other Wattpaders what stories they would like to read and what type of intrigues would be the most popular. It's research. Like when you first conjure up a story to write. You don't just splurge out ideas. I used to do that, but it got me no where. Just a long rambling of random words and ideas thrown together. Now I have learnt to look into the plot and storyline better. So that I know what works best and can keep to a set of ideas, rather than just spew them down haphazardly, as was my style..

Top priority at this moment is the script, then, along the way, the novellas. With Wattpad, you can write 2000 words every week to update your story so readers join in and can make suggestions. Active participation. So doesn't have to be written all at once, but in stages.

It's all under my pen name on there. Lh Thorn if anyone wants to check out my profile and stories once I begin(thanks for all the encouragement you've all given me. Soon I will get those stories in motion...
  • There is an accusation of plagiarism on Wattpad just now. The suggestion now being to take screen shots of your writing. Do you think I ought to copyright my novellas, bearing in mind they will be being updated say every week or two? Presumably they have that facillity on such copyright sites? Ability to update regularly...?
  • Well done on the progress, Lydia!

That is the downfall about posting your work publicly, isn't it? It's wise to copyright your work, but very difficult to police, especially if the rogues change the title!
  • Your work is automatically copyrighted by virtue of you having written it. You don't have to do anything.
    The issue people sometimes worry about is how they would prove it was their work should the need arise, and I don't know how Wattpad works, but the fact that it has been posted on the site on a particular date would possibly be enough.
    Breach of copyright and plagiarism are two separate things, though, and posting anything online makes it potentially vulnerable, whether you can prove it's yours or not.
  • Yes, it does make you vulnerable if you don't copyright your stories. So I think I will look into how to copyright them. The cost involved and, just as important, how to go about copywriting them online. I will need to learn how to do that myself, otherwise it would cost a small fortune to keep hiring experts when I needed things updated...
  • Your work is automatically copyrighted by virtue of you having written it. You don't have to do anything.
  • Yes, it does make you vulnerable if you don't copyright your stories. So I think I will look into how to copyright them.

Perhaps you missed Heather's comment, Lydia?
    Your work is automatically copyrighted by virtue of you having written it. You don't have to do anything.
  • Yeah, but it can still be stolen. Someone on Wattpad found out that another was plagiarizing her work and had to prove it was her authorship. It's an open platform for amateurs so maybe different rules there. They suggested taking videos of your writing, but if I am going to eventually place them on amazon I will need to copyright them anyway..
  • You don't need to take a video. That sounds daft. You just need to be able to prove the work is yours. I retain drafts of my work and my research. That's evidence. You copyright them by adding the standard declaration to the front matter of the work. Done. Dusted.
  • Yeah, but it can still be stolen.
    Yes. Taking a video won't prevent that. Nothing will prevent that.
  • edited August 2017
    if I am going to eventually place them on amazon I will need to copyright them anyway..
    No you don't.
    They are already copyrighted.
    You just have to state when you publish you book who the copyright belongs to, like in the front of any book.
    That is all.

If anyone tries to charge you for 'copyrighting' your work they are a charlatan and a thief.