Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Idea for weekly short story

edited January 2017 in Writing
Hi all

I'm pretty new to this forum, so I'm not really sure what protocol is with this, but I hope it's OK to post this here.

I am trying to write and publish a fictional short story on my blog once a week as a discipline, and was wondering if there was anyone interested in possibly doing the same? If so, it would be fun to review one another's stories and give feedback.

They're meant to be short, read-in-one-sitting things, around 1000 words, probably 2000 max.

This is my first offering (which I posted already in my 'new member' section). It's a funny short story called 'Guy of the Universe'.

http://jthargreaves.blogspot.co.uk/2017/01/guy-of-universe.html

Let me know if anyone is interested, and if not, that's totally fine as well :)

James

Comments

• Not for me, got too much other writing work on at moment - but I'll give yours a read. Let me know if you want opinions, critiques, etc! And good luck!
  • No worries dude, that's cool.
    Yeah, PM me any feedback, that's great!
  • If you, or anyone else, publish stories on your blog you seriously reduce the number of places you can later submit them. Maybe you don't mind about that, but if you think you might eventually wish to try to sell them, or enter them into competitions then this is something to keep in mind.

• Yeah, I suppose the idea behind this is more building a fan base of regular readers - something that would hopefully lead to income further down the road!
  • Why not try Friday Fictioneers, Blues? Here's the link to this week's batch of 100 word stories from the forum members.

http://www.inlinkz.com/new/view.php?id=686720
  • edited January 2017
    Like br too much writing to do at the moment, and as PM mentioned, I'd want to send a 1,000 word story out into the world to earn money.

Lizy's idea is a good way to start. :)
  • edited January 2017
    I'm all for joining in any manner of activities, but I too have a full fretboard of chores!
  • Like br too much writing to do at the moment, and as PM mentioned, I'd want to send a 1,000 word story out into the world to earn money.

Lizy's idea is a good way to start. :)
    Carol - I'd love to be able to do the same, can you tell me some ways to make money from a 1,000 word short story? Any help gratefully received :)

• One way is to enter them in competitions which offer cash prizes. There are lots of these which are free to enter. If you don't win (and usually even if you do) the stories could still go up on your blog later.
  • Hello all...

I've decided to press on anyway with a short story a week on the blog, just to see if I can do it and keep them fresh and interesting, and generate a readership / fanbase.

Here is this week's story, if anyone is interested :) no pressure

http://jthargreaves.blogspot.co.uk/2017/01/god-sat-down-at-my-table.html

As ever, any feedback is welcome!

James
  • edited January 2017
    double post
  • Well done! I have left a comment.
  • Loved you story James - I've left feedback on your site
  • thankyou very much :) greatly appreciated
  • Well done! I have left a comment.
    "I really enjoyed that! What a great concept; it's something a lot of us might think we'd like to do given the opportunity. But you are/God is right about the implications!
    If you can produce something like that in your lunch break, then you have great talent. The only part that was weak for me was the very end.
    Well done!
    TN from TalkBack."

I appreciate the feedback - what would you have liked better at the end? What might have been more effective for you personally as a conclusion? Feel free to be brutal.
  • I've sent you a PM!

Brutal? Moi? I am as gentle as a lamb...

Baa-aa-aaa
  • edited January 2017
    In that case TN, here's a symphony for you!!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=UExZ6ogvNUI
  • edited January 2017
    I think I do it better...

Edited to say: the sheep's baa-ing, that is!
  • Thanks for the feedback TN, it is always welcome.

Incidentally... here is this week's short story for anyone who wants to read it :)

It's called Blank and the Glorious One.

http://jthargreaves.blogspot.co.uk/2017/01/blank-and-glorious-one.html
  • Read it, commented.well done.
  • Here's this week's short story - it's a humorous one. As ever, all feedback welcome!

http://jthargreaves.blogspot.co.uk/2017/01/politicians-dinner.html

It's been really surprising doing this one-a-week project... I haven't run out of ideas as I thought I might. If anything, I've started having more and more ideas. Having a deadline to put something out by has, in an odd way, made my brain click into a gear I didn't quite know I had!

I've only been doing this 4 weeks now, but I have to say, I'd recommend it! And it's been very encouraging to get feedback from people who have read the stories and loved them.

• I've only been doing this 4 weeks now, but I have to say, I'd recommend it! And it's been very encouraging to get feedback from people who have read the stories and loved them.
    Great.

Hope you have been returning the favour(s).
  • He has - if blues is the James who commented on mine this week!
  • yep, that was me :)
    I am trying to do a read through of new blog posts at least once a week.