Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

They may bite….

edited January 2017 in Writing
Inspired by WM and TB, this week I made contact with a local writer's group and, as luck would have it, their next meeting is tomorrow.

I looking forward to attending but am a tad nervous. It appears that they each read a little of their work at meetings and offer constructive criticism - I know, this seems par for the course from what I've learned - but, for a newbie, it is a little daunting.

So, with that in mind, I have spent an hour two this evening polishing, revising and honing the best chapter from my unfinished (Great American) novel, "The Kerning". I have absolutely no doubt that this chapter is the best chapter because the remaining seven are rubbish!

I may just listen and observe tomorrow. If they appear a friendly bunch, I may be tempted to read it to them. Then again, they may bite…..

Comments

• I would be careful how much you read - there is always a word count limit so there is time for everyone, and you don't want them to fear you as someone who reads too much and removes time from them - the very worst type of writing group attendee! a whole chapter I would moot is WAY too much. An A4 side is par for the course.
  • Good luck.

Wise to ask how much you can read.
  • Thank you Liz and Carol - very useful advice. I had not considered that point.
  • But what a great incentive to polish your work! Do that with every chapter and you're on to a winner!

Hope it goes well.
  • Yeah, Gav. Dipping the toe in water is nerve-wracking for most of us. Sometimes it takes a couple of moves before finding a 'compatible' group. All the best with the reading!!
  • edited January 2017
    I too suggest reading only a short piece at first. 1,000 words feels like you've been reading for hours if you're not used to it.

It can be hard hearing your work criticised for the first time. Remember a) they are trying to help b) It's their opinion and you needn't act on any advice.

Do offer feedback yourself - it's only fair. If you're not ready to give criticism then you can stick to praising the work which is read, but please don't give meaningless praise. Pick out something you genuinely thought was good and, most importantly, say why.
  • Agree with the above. I joined a small group once where a new chap was brought along. He not only read for 20 minutes, but refuted any criticism At All. Hugely embarrassing to have to tell him not to come again!
  • They didn't bite.

In fact, they were quite a nice bunch actually. Seven of them, though a few more usually go but were not there today. Two ladies were younger than myself and three were more mature and two chaps. The older chap was obviously the group bore judging from his comments and the other members facial expressions when he spoke - often at length and without making any point or comment connected to the work just presented.

The readings today were, I must say, of a very high standard and I was impressed. One lady read a piece she wrote about a train journey she made and it was beautifully written, keenly observed and gently comic. It was very "Alan Bennett-esque" and enjoyable to hear.

When my turn arrived, I explained that I had little to offer except a chapter from my story. I told them that it was too long to read at the group but they encouraged me to read it to them.

So, with trepidation, for I am unused to reading in public and with a huge amount of concern that my work would be awful, I read it to them. And they really liked it!

Or, that's what they very politely told me.

The Alan Bennet lady, who from her readings and comments to others, I assumed would not like the genre or style of my story, said she thoroughly enjoyed it and was eager for me to bring some more next meeting.

A few said that I "painted a picture" with my description of the diner - this chapter is set in a diner - and that they could visualise, Donna, my waitress.

With 2017 only 20 days old, my "to do" list is firmly on track.

1) subscribe to WM……….CHECK
    2) pick up my pen (or tablet etc)……….CHECK
    3) enter a writing competition……….CHECK
    4) join a writer's group……….CHECK
    5) read my work to strangers……….CHECK
    6) be inspired and motivated……….CHECK
    7) set up a love nest with Nigella…….TO DO

All going well.

(Note to self: must work harder on number 7)
  • Always one offering to help my fellow writers, I rally to Gav's aid with the following link: https://www.nigella.com/ask
    There seems to be no criteria other than asking about recipes; however, initiative is ALWAYS rewarded!! :)>-
  • Hooray! Well, done, G, and you will have endeared ourself by worrying about length.
  • Well done Kramer.
  • Yay!

Keep working on the Nigella thing...
  • So pleased it went so well.
  • Bravo, Gavin! See - don't ask, don't find out - though I don't recommend you apply this to Nigella. The coy looks would drive you to distraction within a day, you know, and she'd be forever sneaking off to the fridge to sample the leftovers.
  • I'm glad it went so well.
  • Bravo, Gavin! See - don't ask, don't find out - though I don't recommend you apply this to Nigella. The coy looks would drive you to distraction within a day, you know, and she'd be forever sneaking off to the fridge to sample the leftovers.
    I'll have to settle for just the tattoo of her then.