Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Ancestry DNA

edited February 2017 in Writing
Has anyone ventured deep into family research and used 'Ancestry dot com's DNA kit?
https://www.ancestry.co.uk/dna?o_xid=75835&o_lid=75835&o_sch=Email+Campaigns

I am battling through certificates etc, but just wonder about the viability of this rather expensive process?

Comments

• A few people on Facebook have.
  • Does it involve spilling blood?
  • It won't help you find your great-great-grandparents but it does sound (expensive) fun to be able to see from what part of the world your family can be traced to.
  • Hello, my sister has been doing this for years and know the process inside out. She has researched much about our family and it's extremely interesting.

She was so passionate about it herself she became avolunteer at some organisation locally and helped people find the info they wanted and did research for them.

She has recently started her own genealogical research company. She's a member of Society of Genealogists and will soon be an associate member of (can't really remember) something along the lines of Association of Genealogical Researchers

If you want I can give her your details and ask her to contact you with her rates which I would expect are not astronomical 'cos other people have asked her to assist them in this highly fascinating activity.
  • Thanks Dora. I'll keep that in mind. As you're aware, the first few generation are easy. I'm not far at all yet.

And to BB, thanks. You're right. The best I can expect is to be of Viking or Saxon decent; without any direct family lineage information.
  • Does it involve spilling blood?
    So you want the goss from me so you can write a children's book about how little Johnny goes to a clinic to find his parents; gets jabbed with a DNA needle, and quickly learns that he's a haemophiliac?

No way; I won't let you feed off me for your own gain!! :-))
  • edited February 2017
    Yes I have done this ( a present from my daughter as I am a family tree addict) and the result was fascinating. I am 42% British 29% West Europe 19% Irish, the rest Italy/ Greece/ Finland. I have had new family connections from people who share the same DNA ( on Ancestry.com) so it's a really good idea if , like me , you love genealogy. You don't send blood but spit!
    I have been researching my trees for 35 years and now have 2,000 people on my Ancestry.com tree, I recommend that as it stores all info online as well so you can't lose it. There are so many records now online. I started in the days when you had to go down to St Catherines and Kew etc. Now just a click of the mouse and you have certificates etc. If you want any advice message me. I was a member of the Society of Genealogists once and was always going down to their record centre in London.
    PS. I have traced my Capon line back to Richard third! I think lots could find a royal link if they looked.
  • It's a fascinating hobby. I would also recommend putting the info on Ancestry. Not only is it easier to access but you can dip into other branches very easily. It reconnected my family with some distant cousins my mother played with on a holiday in London just after the 2nd WW. We then filled in gaps in both branches. My focus has always been on closer generations. I'm still working on my mother's grandparents! However, that will become easier now we have confirmation of an error on a certificate.

• PS. I have traced my Capon line back to Richard third! I think lots could find a royal link if they looked.
    Thanks very much for that. I trust you're not planning a 'car park' send off!!