Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

A little bit of puff for my novel

edited February 2017 in Writing
I love this review!

'A cracker of a book that is light years ahead of the majority of historical romances. The characters are feisty and believable, the period setting is pinpoint sharp without being oppressive, and the plot licks along at a smart pace. A really well-crafted enjoyable book whose characters stay with the reader long after the final denouement. High;y recommended.'

(Though I still want to correct that misplaced ;!)

Comments

• Fabulous, Mrs Bear. I am proud of you.
  • Congratulations.
  • Congratulations Mrs Bear.
  • Nice one, Bear :)
  • Fab! Isn't it nice hearing what people think about your writing?
  • Excellent. They really make our head swell, then we have to settle down and start writing the next one!
  • No swelled head here, I promise, PET. So pleased the writer enjoyed my book, and put it so well; grateful that they took the time, too. I'm more glad that they found it as I intended it to be. Someone else could come along tomorrow and say it's tosh.

A friend who read it told me it wasn't her cup of tea, as with a romance you always know the ending right from the start, and you have to go through hoops to get to the obvious. She still thought it well written, just not her thing.

Actually, the ending is a surprise, but I'm not saying any more!
  • Great review. Well done.
  • Well done, Mrs Bear.
    So the ending's a surprise, is it?
    *shoves assumption in a drawer in the hope nobody noticed it*

ps. When I read the title of this thread my first thought was tainted by the words my offspring have taught me!
  • That's fabulous!

• ps. When I read the title of this thread my first thought was tainted by the words my offspring have taught me!
    Tsk!

• Well done for earning that one, Mrs B.
  • edited February 2017
    A top review, Mrs. Bear. I hope to achieve one like that some day (and I won't be giving up). Well done you.

As to your critic. Well, even when we have an idea what the ending is likely to be, there is still the ingenuity of getting there (endlessly variable, as you already know, of course). Those are the things that matter!
    Best Wishes,
    Cuttle
  • One of my books has 38 reviews, including 23 five star ones, many of which refer to twists and surprises. There's also a one star review saying it's obvious from page one exactly how it's all going to pan out.

That's a romance too.
  • I don't mind if an ending is what I imagined it to be – it's all about the journey to that ending. I've worked on several Mills and Boon books and each one was a masterclass in how to write the journey.
  • Congratulations, Mrs B - that's a great review.