Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

My Bank Advice.

edited February 2017 in Writing
Just received notification that my Lloyds Easy Saver account will change to a Standard Saver account because I've held it for 12 months. In effecting this change, the rate drops to 0.05%. I don't have massive sums, but what the heck? Half a percent? Now looking at AA Member savings or Post Office account. I am a firm believer in voting with our feet.

Comments

• It's the only way. Loyalty is rarely rewarded.
  • That's not half a percent. It is 1/20 of a percent. LLoyds always do this, but will let you open a new Easy Saver and transfer the money into that. Or at least they used to. It was a faff to do it every year though.
    National Savings do an income bond that currently pays .75% (was 1 % till last week), no limits on access and with a £500 minimum. Or a Direct Saver paying .7% with a £1 minimum.
  • Meh - I'm never bothered about interest anyway. Even if I had £10,000 in my bank account and got 1%, I'd only have an extra hundred after a year - which yeah, is a lot of money, but not as much as £10,000 :P

• There is so much choice these days and its easy to switch to an account to work in yr favour

• Years ago I wrote articles for a credit card comparison website. Apart from what I was paid, I also earned from the savings made. I never pay interest on my credit card but I changed to one that paid me money for using it in supermarkets and garages. No annual fee, just money deducted from my normal balance each month - 2% off the qualifying spend. If you paid interest on the card it was high but as I never have, it's not relevant.

Shop around - for anything connected to finance. And read the small print.
  • Meh - I'm never bothered about interest anyway. Even if I had £10,000 in my bank account and got 1%, I'd only have an extra hundred after a year - which yeah, is a lot of money, but not as much as £10,000 :P
    Yes and after ten years you'd have 11,000 which a lot of money, much more than 10,000
  • That's not half a percent. It is 1/20 of a percent.
    Yeah, sorry heather, you're right. I knew it was abysmal and just referred to it as 'half' instead of .05, which equals 50p per year on 10,000.

• Premium Bonds are a safe investment. You have the excitement of the monthly draws and the money's accessible within days if you want to make a withdrawal.
  • That's not half a percent. It is 1/20 of a percent.
    Yeah, sorry heather, you're right. I knew it was abysmal and just referred to it as 'half' instead of .05, which equals 50p per year on 10,000.

Actually it would be £5 a year on £10,000. (sorry- maths pedant reporting for duty!!)
  • How I've missed you talkbackers! Delighted to see it's business as usual.
  • Are you home now Claudia? If so welcome back. Looking forward to hearing all about your adventures.
  • edited March 2017

Actually it would be £5 a year on £10,000. (sorry- maths pedant reporting for duty!!)
    Yep, you're still right. I think my English is better than my maths!
    *scrambles for manuscripts to re edit*