Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

My literary agent dumped me by e-mail on Friday afternoon....

edited March 2017 in Writing
On Friday afternoon, my agent emailed me to say he was dropping me!
It has come completely out of the blue with no warning at all. Only last week, he said he was really enjoying my fourth book!!
In his e-mail, he basically said he really enjoyed Book 4 (I write romcoms) but that he "hadn't fallen in love with it" and therefore he thought I should look for representation elsewhere.
I remember bursting into tears in front of the PC and literally falling into a tearful heap on my Husband's shoulder when he got in from work.
I still can't quite take it in but shock now is turning into annoyance and the "I'll show you" mentality.
TBH, I think he is making up excuses to get me off his books, because he couldn't sell Book 3.
Have started submitting my latest work to agents over the weekend....off we go again.... X

Comments

• Oh dear, I'm sorry to hear that.
    Well done for your positive proactive attitude to it, but it must hurt. :(
  • Oh it really did Heather, especially as he had given no indication at all that it was likely! Just got to start from the beginning again with submitting to other agents - grrrr!
  • Sorry about that. I can see it's a blow, but you're right - prove he's made a mistake by getting the book out to others and writing more.
  • Oh, Bookworm, what a horrible blow for you after him telling you he was enjoying your book! All credit to you for picking yourself up and subbing again.
  • Sympathetic hugs, and glad you're picking yourself up and submitting again- fingers crossed.
  • What a shock, bookworm, after all that buildup too. At least you have three published books to brag about, and the next agent won't know who dumped who unless you tell them. Good luck with the search.
  • If he hadn't fallen in love with it, love being such a subjective and nebulous thing, he may not have been the best person to sell your work to others. He could have carried on representing you half heartedly. It may be for the best that you find an agent to better represent you.
  • Sorry to hear that, Bookworm. His feedback was useless: enjoyed but not in love with. If he had been more detailed and constructive you could have a tinker before subbing again. Hope you find a better agent.
  • My sympathy, Bookworm, but Cheshire Cheese is probably right. You have the right attitude in response to this. If your next book is a best seller, this agent will be the one sobbing in front of his computer.

Good luck.
  • Good luck, Bookworm, how upsetting... but, it might be the best thing that ever happened!
  • Thank you to each and every one of you - it helps so much to know that other writers are wishing you well and understand!
    I've been submitting Book 4 since Saturday and felt a bit down again at lunchtime today- until an e-mail popped up in my In box from one of the agents I'd approached on Sat, requesting the Full.
    I refuse to get my hopes up as I've been there before (!) but at least it has given me a bit of confidence that she liked my query letter, first 3 chapters and synopsis enough to request a Full - and that she did so in 48 hrs.
    Onwards and upwards - hopefully! Hope all you guys are doing well and writing like crazy! X
  • Great news! Fabulous!
  • Ah - that's better!
  • Good news, fingers crossed for you.
  • Oh well done!
    Hope it works out for you.
  • Thank you - as I say, I'm not getting my hopes up but I did need a confidence boost and that has helped a bit - as have all of you! X
  • I'm glad you've had some hopeful news.
  • Good luck, Bookworm. You're obviously doing something right - just have to find the best fit!
  • Very proper keen response. This is what's wanted.
  • How awful but this could be the turning point of your career - good luck and stay positive, things are sounding hopeful!
  • Thank you all so much!
    I've had two Full requests in total since Monday, so here's hoping!
    How are things going with all of you? X
  • Sent off a sub of a different book. It takes me ages to hone each sub to perfection - perhaps a more casual appròach might work better!
  • Too studied and over-worked could be boring I guess. Have you showed it to someone else to see what they think of it?
  • No. OH can spot typos but nothing else. Haven't found anyone yet who I feel i can ask.
  • I'd do it if I had the bloomin' time, but I'm completely overwhelmed with writing end of one book, getting work for the other book and the A-Z atm. Why don't you ask on a thread on here, for someone who has had their stuff accepted by an agent to just asses your letter? In fact, anyone can probably give you feedback on things you might not have thought of. Introduction letters should be no more than four paragraphs, and give a flavour of you-ness and your work.
  • Haven't found anyone yet who I feel i can ask.
    Someone writing in a similar genre who'd welcome feedback from you in return?
  • That's the spirit, B13. To infinity and beyond.

Good luck in your agent search.
  • Best of luck, B13. Two full requests since Monday is very good going.
  • Thanks Dwight and Tristram - I'll try not to get too optimistic and see what happens...!